Chapter 13 One day off work

I wrapped the towel around me and stepped out the shower. My hair over my shoulder was dripping wet. I opened the bathroom door and walked out into the bedroom. I couldn't see Kyle anywhere. I shrugged my shoulders then walked over to the wardrobe and opened the doors. I scanned through my clothes. I caught sight of my wedding dress tucked away in the corner of the wardrobe. I smiled. I could hear Kyle walking up stairs. I didn't turn around to see him but I could sense him behind me. Suddenly my neck started tingling. In a really good way. Kyle was kissing my neck so gently that I felt my knees buckling.
"At least warn me next time so I can sit down in case I fall over!" I breathed
I could feel Kyle's lips curving into a smile against my neck. "I'll always be here to catch you!" he whispered against my skin.
He then continued to caress my neck and shoulders with his lips. I stood there unmoving listening only to the sound of my throbbing heart. With each kiss I felt my heart skip a beat. I sucked in my breath not daring to move and ruin the perfect moment. His lips moved down slightly to the top of my collarbone. I let out a slight groan in pleasure and that only made Kyle kiss me that little bit harder. Eventually I broke the trance and said, "I need to get dressed now."
Kyle stopped kissing me for a moment then passionately kissed me, lingering on my shoulder, one last time before exiting the room. I let out my breath. I could hardly breath around him. I felt fifteen again.

I picked out a pair of dark blue jeans and an old red shirt. I brushed my hair then tied it up into a bun without bothering to blow-dry it. I didn't bother to make myself look all pretty and what not because that's not who I am. Kyle loved me for who I am rather than for something I'm not. I couldn't help but smile and feel slightly confused when I think of him. I was confused about why, after ten years, was he allowed back to me? Why take him away in the first place? I had made my fair share of enemies over the years but all were either dead or plotting revenge (which they'll never get) in a prison serving a life sentence.
"What's up?"
I spun around to see Kyle about three feet behind my. Embarrassed, I quickly buttoned up the last few buttons on my shirt.
"Nothing much," I lied trying to sound as honestly as possible.
"Please remember who I am and what I do for a living before trying to lie," Kyle stated
I rolled my eyes. "I was just thinking about who and why kept us apart for so long," I informed him. He didn't seem satisfied but knew not to press.
"Just don't think of doing anything reckless," he told me seriously, "I already lost you once and I'm not going though it again!"
"Babe I'm not gonna hunt down a guy who I don't even know. We don't know who did this and we probably never will," I reassured him. "Besides," I walked up to him and draped my arms around his neck, "I've got something way better and way more important."
I kissed his lips softly. I wanted to just pause time and live in this moment forever. Being here with him, I felt as if I could forget all my troubles. His hands pressed against my back pulling me closer. Then the moment was ruined by the sound of a ringing phone. We pulled away slightly. His lips only an inch away.
"Sorry," Kyle mumbled. He didn't stop holding me like I thought he would but instead just reached into his pocket for his phone and answered it.
"Hello?" Kyle said. I could hear mumbling on the other end of the line. Only Kyle's voice I could hear.
"Oh hey Cam... Yeah... No not too bad. But I was stuck next to a screaming kid... I'm with her now... No not her grave... she's alive....OK, OK !" Kyle then passed the phone to me.
"Hello," I said
"Holy CRAP!!!! You really are alive!!!" the voice on the other end of the line said. I could recognise Cam's voice straight away. I still wanted to punch him though. Cam was Kyle's roommate at school and a huge player until he got with a friend of mine Beth.
"And you really are still a prick!" I replied
"Ok little Miss Feisty! Crap you ain't changed at all have ya?" he asked
"Only more depressing," I shot back.
"Is that Laura?" I could hear a woman's voice in the background.
"Beth babe seriously. Personal space!" Cam told her.
"Look guys!" I said over them, "It's great to talk to you but me and Kyle are kinda in the middle of something!"
"Oh?" Cam said, "Pass us back to Kyle would ya doll?"
I rolled my eyes and handed the phone to Kyle. I draped my arm back around him.
"Hey... Cameron, no just no...goodbye!" he ended the call then threw his phone on the bed.
"Now where were we?" Kyle said.
"And what was that about?" I asked
Kyle sighed. "He asked if we were doing it rough and if you liked it rough."
"You should have said yes! It would have made his ears burn!" I said before firmly planting my lips on Kyle's. We pulled each other closer. Once one kiss started it always multiplied. That was our problem.
"God we can't keep doing this," Kyle admitted when we pulled away. We had both known it for a while that we could never just be together. We still had a job to do and we were, and still unfortunately are, the best team. We were effective and swift in our results so if anyone else found out that we were together again, we would never be free again. The stakes were getting higher and higher.
"Just one more minute?"