Their First Encounter

Like a giant, the building stood towering and sprawling under the magnificence and haughtiness of its top shielded by the pristine white of its wall. This was a mansion where the Douglas family had lived and established their reputation for a hundred years from generation to generation.

In people's eyes, it might be a mere edifice where people could rest from the exhaustion of the world outside. It was indeed, besides its function as a quarter of the huge pack of Douglass, the werewolf most of the hunters chased after.

Inside a large area of the chamber gathered all the pack members. The room was quiet as the eventide; the wide copper stares of the ceiling fell on the silent figures below sitting on their pecan chairs.

At the high golden throne, Oliver Douglass, a wise leader of the pack whom all the people showed their respect and obedience to, sat like a king; and to him, all gaze addressed. He had reigned the pack for a century along with his wife, Clara Douglass, whose beauty could enchant the sights of the people.

Among the people in front of him were his sons, Andrew and Aeron Douglass, who settled in their seats in solitude for their honor toward their father.

Born as alpha in the Douglas family, Andrew Douglas could count himself fortunate enough to have that title which brought him to the highest level in his pack with privilege despite the responsibility and tasks on his shoulders.

Andrew, like his name, possessed a well-built body with his intimidating 6"5' height and a stunning countenance of ocean-blue eyes that could hypnotize and drown whoever stared at their depth and strong jaws in the assertion of his masculinity.

He had a brother – two years younger than he was – named Aeron Douglas; unlike him, a brother of his, owned no handsomeness which could allure the women in the pack or the perfect torso to be proud of, yet his intelligence, none of the people in their community could compare themselves to him.

It was the annual meeting they were attending now through which their leader would discuss the plan, announce crucial matters or resolve the issues they faced. On this occasion, he certainly had something he would convey to the pack. From the rumor no one dared to raise it, it was about the arranged marriage of his son to the daughter of the strongest pack.

"As all of you have noticed, my eldest son, Andrew, will turn twenty-five this year." Even the opening of his speech had induced a thrilling atmosphere around Andrew; the pressure of his heartbeat increased. "It is time for him to marry his mate."

His chin jerked up in surprise at the announcement made by his father. Of a sudden, his legs straightened up in his position.

"How can I get married while I am in love with no one, Father?"

People could notice his dour expression through his visage and the bitter tone in his voice which he failed to conceal. He stayed standing at his feet, caring not the gazes on him. None of them opened their mouths, showing their defense either on him or his father.

"You will marry the Luna of the Blood Moon pack. I allow no one to protest against my words," declared he to his eldest son who shot his widened eyes at him in shock at his abrupt decretal.

As adamant as his father, Andrew would let none of the people dictate his life with a decision that he thought of contradicting his heart. He had no intention of accepting the marriage his father arranged for him with the woman he never adored.

"I beg your apology, Father. I will never let myself spend the rest of my life with the one I have no feelings for."

"You have no right to make any rejection to whatever I have decided and announced for as an alpha you abide by the pack rules." His intonation was assertive; his serious mimic displayed nothing but an order.

The arguments involved only both of them; the rest chose to merely observe from their place as if their words would only lead to fatality.

"However, mate selection is not a part of the rules. I deserve to pick my mate by heart not by power." The high tension painted his face with a red hue for pressing the vexation in his chest.

But, Aaron's hand gripped his to soothe him and got him to sit back. Across from him, through her eyes, his mother signaled him to calm down which he soon submissively obeyed.

It was not his purpose to disobey the words of his father for he was an obedient son to him. Nonetheless, he knew nothing about the Blood Moon pack except for their bad prominence as killers; they would destroy whoever stood against them

His refusal ignited the flame inside his father he rose from his seat with his reddened face in wrath and his clenched hands. Surrounded by his people, he sat back as his confrontation would merely ruin his dignity. He had to be mindful of each sentence he stated next for it could provoke his son instead of convincing him to fulfill his request.

"It is true that you have a full right to your own life, including in terms of the spouse preference. But, I hope you would consider my plea as it is not for me or you but for our clan. You despise the war; and only with this, we can evade it."

Andrew discovered no fallacy in his statements. Their relationship with the Blood Moon pack would benefit them because of their power. Not only could he protect his pack but also no one would dare fight against them. It might be his destiny that he had to sacrifice his happiness for the peaceful life of his people.

"I will think about it, father." In surrender, he was considering his father's wish.

Amid the debate, entered a young bodyguard; as soon as he reached the center, kneeled in front of Oliver. Catching his breath, he reported the turmoil out of the building.

"Two werewolves were found dead, assaulted by an unknown attacker, Sir."

Oliver abruptly surged to his feet at the sudden bad news he heard from the bodyguards which boiled his chest in anger. And he could not find a better way than killing to defend his pack from any perils.

"Andrew, make sure they will escape nowhere this time. Get them, dead or alive."

Andrew followed his father's instructions right away, running out with the others behind him in the hunt for the criminals who had murdered the werewolves.

Separated from the rest, Andrew headed to the back area of the mansion and scanned it around with his sharp visions. With his strong scent, he could detect the existence of the intruder near him and it was not one of his kind.

A shadow of a tall wavy-long-red-haired woman flashed in front of him whom he chased quickly. His power eased his efforts of catching that woman in no time.

"I got you now!" He hissed at the person whose arm was in his grip while her body squirmed to free herself from him. Her visage looked up at him and the emerald green of her orbs fell into the deep ocean of his gaze. Time stopped and froze them for a while before she managed to pull herself out of his charm. "You are human. Who are you? What brings you here?"

"Jane!" A yell from someone distracted them both.

"Jane? Is that your name?"