Chapter 15

When Gray managed to give those men the slip, he sneaked back to the carriage and by then Juvia had started to wake. Her eyes were not the only things left permanently effected by the cold, it had also made her heart very frail, though not so much now then when she was a child. As an adult, whenever she was under extreme amounts of stress or fear, her heartbeat would turn rapid, she'd hyperventilate, and finally she'd pass out. Normally that was the worst of it, but Gray and Jellal lived in constant fear that someday it wouldn't just be a fainting spell. It would be her heart giving out for good.

"Are you alright Juvia?" Gray asked her as she stirred.

"Gray?...Is that you?" She came to slowly.

"Yes it's me. You got too scared and you went out like a light again. Did those creeps hurt you?"

"No. I'm alright."

"Good." His tone then turned irritated. "Damn city's full of animals. How low do you have to sink to harass a blind girl?"

"Don't get too angry, it could have been worse."

"Do you think you'll be able to still perform this afternoon?"

"Yes. If I don't, how else will we eat?"

"Good point."

"Do you think this afternoon's audience will be as big as last night's?"

"I doubt it. Last night we only had that many spectators because the grand duchess was wtching the show."

"I've heard many things about her. She's my age, isn't she?"

"Yes." Jellal said, having walked in on their conversation as he was making so last minute adjustments for the show.

"Did any of you see her? What did she look like?" Juvia asked.

"She was blond, brown-eyed, and pink-skinned."

"Was she as beautiful as everyone says she is?"

"She was like the sun-"

"Oh Jellal please, not another sonnet." Gray said rolling his eyes.

"What's wrong with my sonnets?"

"Well they are pretty cliche and make you sound like such a dork."

"They do not." Juvia argued. "Ignore him Jellal, I think your sonnets are wonderful. Please continue."

"Thank you. As I was saying, she was like the sun, Aurora, a woman of ferocity and spirit who does not fear the blush. Unlike you my dear sister who is like the moon, Twilight, a maiden that is innocent, gentle, fair, and alabaster. But in my opinion, the one most beauteous, is her royal majesty, who is the earth, Terra, her magnificence comes from her humble, wise, and dual nature, serving as a devoted mother to her people. Truly, what could be more lovely?"

"As I said, cliche and dorky." Gray said.

"I think it's beautiful." Juvia said. "And imagine if the queen herself heard you speak such words about her."

"I'd rather not." Jellal sighed.

"Why do you write these sonnets again?" Gray asked.

"Because he's a romantic." Juvia said. "Something I wish you could understand."

"Why? What could I possibly gain from understanding romantics?"

"Well for starters." Jellal said. "It'll help you find a wife."

"Why would I want to find a wife?"

"Are you saying you prefer men?"

Carla snickered under her breath.