Old habits die hard

"Tertle!"

"We're going back for her," grunted Tertle. Jacob pressed his head into Tertle's stomach, but the fossil wouldn't be slowed. "We aren't leaving her."

"Damn it, Tertle!" Yelled Jacob, gritting his teeth. Pushing desperately, Jacob's paws slipped on the sand, and he faceplanted. "We don't even know what's going on!"

Tertle paused and sighing deeply, he sat back on his haunches. His gaze lilting, Tertle suddenly seemed old. His skin was wrinkled and the lines on his face were heavier somehow. "I know what's happening. Lavendar told me."

"We can't trust her!"

"Can you trust me?"

His ears fallings, Jacob sat heavily. "I trust you. We all trust you." He gestured at Pixie, Ace, and Glair. "But that Vulpix, there's something she's not telling us."

"You're right. You are right." Tertle rubbed the back of his neck and met Jacob's gaze. "She told me what's really going on. Who she is, and all about Cresselia."

"Then tell us." Jacob's eyes were pleading, his tone desperate. He wanted so badly to believe Tertle, but he needed something, a reason to go on.

Tertle shook his head, a sad smile upon his face. "You need to hear it from her, but believe me, if you are not there for her, you will never forgive yourself."

His gaze tilting downwards, Jacob searched the sand for answers, but found nothing. The sand of a desert, trillions of grains, moving, shifting, carried on the winds. The sand was always where it was supposed to be, and it was never alone. (It's not supposed to be in my shoes!) You never see a single grain of sand. Rather, many tiny grains forming one big desert. What that means, Jacob didn't know, but it sounded alright.

Nuzzling Jacob's cheek, Pixie nipped at his ear. "Hey, she's just one Pokémon."

"That sounds like... a lot." Jacob thought back to all the adventures with his friends. The fight against Zeraora. Reuniting with Pixie in the human world. Finally returning home, to Sharpedo Bluff. He'd left so many people behind, time and again. To be on your own is a lot. It's too much to ask of anyone, really.

Jacob shook his head before taking a deep breath. "We're going back for her."

"Obviously," answered Ace, already walking back into the temple.

Pixie groaned, following after the Emolga. "I really wish that portal went both ways."

"Now we get to jump down the pit again!" Glair cheered, skipping along.

Patting Jacob's back, Tertle nodded his approval. A smile rested on the old Pokémon's face and the pair shared a brief look. Tertle entered the temple without another word, but Jacob knew what he was saying. Though, it bothered Jacob somewhat; Tertle really did look tired.

Thus, the heroes once again trekked through Sundown Temple, apparently forgetting about Meloetta, and deserting her unconscious form in the middle of the desert... Bruh.

Quicky passing through the temple, Jacob and crew swiftly arrived at the second lowest floor. Gazing down the slope, into the impending darkness, Tertle grunted and rolled his shoulders. "See you at the bottom."

Without warning, Tertle dove headfirst down the hill. Tucking into his shell, he raced into the gloom. The bottom fast approaching, Tertle saw Cresselia, drifting nearer to Lavender. The Vulpix seemed so small. Tertle raised his fins before slapping them downwards, launching off the slope and into the air. He crashed headfirst into Cresselia and began raining blows upon the legendary. Her eyes wide, Lavendar tried to call Tertle's name, but it caught in her throat.