; Prologue ;

I suffer from human wannabe vampire syndrome.
It's like I know I am half-vamp but my vamp side is not showing any more than my depression instantaneously vanishing.
My mom seems to appreciate the fact that my father's genes don't show in me unlike my cool and popular vamp sis, Shae, that loves me so much she hasn't texted me in the last week. At least her new boyfriend seems to enjoy her company. Bet she'll make him a vamp after their first make out sesh.
Sarcasm aside, I really do miss her.
We used to play castle in the woods behind our house. I would play the princess while she'd be the hand maiden because "maids don't have to wear corsets."
I loved that Shae. Easygoing and fun to be around. Now she spends her time texting her bffs and doing influencer stuff.
I could never be that social.
My social life consists of my mom and numerous woodland creatures. Most of which run away when spotted because they know I want to pick them up to take a closer look and maybe talk about what I had for lunch.
No one really know who I am really besides my parents and Shae. The only thing the vamp community knows is that Victor Lepra kept the secret that he was a rogue vampire until word leaked that he married a human.
Which is a no no.
My parents slowly faded apart and were permanently separated when my mom ran away with me. She didn't want me to be in danger, being a human girl in a vamp world.
I was 8 when they fully separated.
Shae and I stay in contact, most of the time, while my mom steers clear of the entire vampire world. We were both curious as to whether I would show vamp tendencies. Hell my mom had no clue if I showed.
Good news for her, I haven't and I am already 19.
I'm now in college pursuing a degree in biology. Mom insisted I stayed in town just to make sure I would be alright and not drop out cause heaven knows my mom keeps education number one.
Shae usually visits once a year during the fall just to catch up on things, but I persuaded my mom to have both Victor and Shae visit during winter break this year after all, it's been 11 years since I saw my dad.
I'm tired of being an outcast in the vamp world.
I'm tired of being half-vamp Emily Lepra.
But I have a plan to get out.