08. always fucking die

chapter eight,
always fucking die

        BETRAYAL WAS A type of pain Carlyn hoped she would never have to get used to

        BETRAYAL WAS A type of pain Carlyn hoped she would never have to get used to. She'd prayed with everything in her that Ethan Landry was innocent. Deep down, in her gut, she'd known that Mindy had been right as much as she didn't want to believe it.

Carlyn Windsor was an optimist, and perhaps a little naive as well.

        "Mindy was right," Ethan went on. "It was easy to juke the roommate lottery. I mean, all I had to do to meet you was room with a conceited, condescending alpha literally named Chad! Fuck, it felt good to kill him!"

        Carlyn's jaw clenched and all of her hurt and sadness washed away, replaced by anger once more.

       "And then, to make sure I was really in, I just had to get close to you," Ethan laughed, pointing at Carlyn with his knife. "Do you know how hard it was to sit there and listen to you whine all the goddamn time? It was pathetic."

        Carlyn gripped her brick so hard her knuckles were turning white.

        Ethan's gaze moved from her as he raised his mask, pointing his knife at it now. "This was your grandmother's, Sam. Nancy Loomis? Really runs in your fucking family, doesn't it? Speaking of family. . ."

"Wait for it. . ." Bailey chimed in.

"My name's not Ethan Landry!" Ethan turned his head over to Detective Bailey. "Is it, Dad?"

        "Dad?" Tara asked in disbelief.

        "Wait. . ." Sam spoke hesitantly. "If it's you two, that just leaves. . ." The older girl swallowed and forced herself to continue. "Mindy?"

        Carlyn's face fell for a second and her stomach churned. Ethan was one thing, but it couldn't be Mindy. She'd known Mindy her entire life. There was absolutely no way.

        But still, she kept her gaze set on the Ghostface on Bailey's right side, praying that it wasn't who Sam thought it was. Sickly, she wished it was Danny. That was the only thing that made sense, but based on the height. . . she knew it wasn't.

        Ghostface began to take their mask off and a dead girl stood before them. Quinn smiled at them and Carlyn's head spun. She'd seen Quinn's lifeless body. "Hey, roomies. You didn't see that one coming, did you?"