Chapter Three - Adrian cont.

"Wait-what?" I exclaimed. That wasn't in the plan. That wasn't in the plan at all. I was trying to move through Russia in as incognito a way as possible.

Everyone smiled at that, even those who didn't know Rose personally seemed to find it difficult to believe she could ever truly be 'incognito'. It was made even funnier given that by all accounts, she has already started racking up decent Strigoi kills already.

Plus, I didn't really relish the thought of having a tag-along- particularly one who appeared to hate me. I didn't know how long it would take to get to Siberia-a couple days, I thought-and I couldn't imagine spending them listening to Sydney talk about what an unnatural, evil being I was. Swallowing my outrage, I attempted reason. After all, I was asking a favor here. 

"That's not necessary," I said, forcing a smile. "It's nice of you to offer, but I don't want to inconvenience you."

"Well," she replied dryly, "there's no getting around that. And it's not me being nice. It's not even my choice. It's an order from my superiors."

Abe gave Sydney a smug smile that had her bravely dare to roll her eyes. She'd long since regretted asking him for a 'favour' but couldn't bring herself to regret it either, it was for family after all.

"It still sounds like a pain in the ass for you. Why don't you just tell me where it is and blow them off?"

"You obviously don't know the people I work for."

"Don't need to. I ignore authority all the time. It's not hard once you get used to it."

"She may end up being a bad influence on you Sage" Adrian said through the laughter that filled the room. Sydney just shivered, trying not to think of the time she'd be spending with Rose and her possible influence over her. They all know not to question their teachings or superiors, ever, and this she suspects comes directly from Mr Mazur which means it is DEFINITELY never to be questioned.

"Yeah? How's that working out for you with finding this village?" she asked mockingly. "Look, if you want to get there, this is the only way." Well-it was the only way I could get there if I used Sydney for information. I could always go back to staking out the Nightingale... but it had taken me this long to get a lead from there. Meanwhile, she was here right in front of me with the information I needed.

"Why?" I asked. "Why do you have to go too?"

"I can't tell you that. Bottom line: They told me to." Lovely. I eyed her, trying to figure out what was going on here. Why on earth would anyone-let alone humans with their hands in the Moroi world -care where one teenage dhampir went? I didn't think Sydney had any ulterior motives-unless she was a very, very good actress.

"I'm not the one with the ulterior motives" Sydney said with a scoff and pointed look at Abe who was still smiling smugly. He looked forward to hearing about meeting his daughter and can't imagine missing this opportunity if he is making Sydney deliver her.

Yet, clearly the people she answered to had an agenda, and I didn't like playing into anyone's plan.

"She really is your daughter isn't she" Sydney asked rhetorically. I don't think anyone could have missed the megawatt smile that formed on his face, it could light the room.

At the same time, I was anxious to get on with this. Each day that passed was another in which I didn't find Dimitri.

Hopefully if she finds my family, she will decide to live a quiet life with them and forget about hunting me. His family on the other hand didn't quite know how to feel about her being so anxious to find and stake Dimitri.