Chapter 2

Rubbing her eyes, the living doll slowly awakens, finding herself in the confines of her small sleeping quarters. Taking in her surroundings, she realizes the cramped nature of the room. Her gaze shifts towards a note attached to a nearby board, catching her attention with instructions on how to become a living doll.

Filled with a blend of confusion and curiosity, the living doll, devoid of memories from the previous night, carefully reads the note, seeking clarity about her present circumstances. The contents unveil her new role as a living doll, tasked with serving her mistress. Responsibilities encompass various duties such as preparing tea, cleaning, and aiding her mistress in daily routines.

Continuing her reading, the living doll's focus is captured by the vital instructions that ensue: Living Dolls are forbidden from donning clothing associated with Shadows, must exercise restraint in their speech when assuming the guise of a Shadow's face, and are encouraged to abstain from indulging in superfluous thoughts. These guidelines provide clarity regarding the boundaries and obligations imposed upon her as a living doll in the service of Shadow.

Having assimilated the instructions, the doll proceeds to attire herself in the prescribed ensemble. It comprises a modest dark-blue dress with wide sleeves that gracefully extend to her elbows, fastened at the neckline by a crimson drawstring. Completing the attire are dark-blue socks and white spats adorning her short black boots. As she concludes her dressing ritual, her eyes alight upon a heart-shaped hairclip resting on the table. Uncertain of its origin or how it found its way there, a radiant smile graces the doll's face, as if the hairclip holds a profound significance for her. Filled with joy, she tenderly places the hairclip in her hair, cherishing it as though it was destined for her all along.

Filled with curiosity that surpasses her confusion, the living doll bravely opens the concealed door leading to a chamber permeated with soot. Intrigued yet unsure of what lies ahead, she steps inside and encounters a sign featuring a depiction of a person lying down. Intrigued by this enigmatic symbol, she decides to emulate it and lies down on the ground. Suddenly, a mysterious sound reverberates through the chamber, accompanied by a powerful gust of wind emanating from beneath her, leaving her senses awestruck.

Still feeling slightly disoriented from the previous encounter, the doll approaches another door and opens it, revealing a grand and opulent room shrouded in dust and soot. "Wow, what a magnificent space!" she exclaims, marveling at the breathtaking beauty surrounding her. However, her attention swiftly shifts to her slumbering mistress in bed. Adopting a composed demeanor, she adjusts her voice and immediately commences her cleaning duties, determined to complete them before her mistress awakens.

After hours of meticulous cleaning, the living doll successfully brings order to her mistress's grand chamber. A profound sense of accomplishment fills her being, heightening her anticipation for the forthcoming journey alongside her mistress. With a proud smile adorning her face, she tidies up the cleaning supplies and stows them away with care. Finally, she approaches the window and opens it, inviting the gentle morning sunlight to stream into the room. The radiant beams illuminate the now immaculate space, erasing any trace of dirt or grime, and transforming it into a radiant and inviting sanctuary.