After Long Nights

Peter had come home after his patrol, climbing through the window into the room we shared since I moved in. I looked up from the computer desk and turned to him with a smile. A smile that soon turned to a concerned frown. I closed my computer I was previously doing school work on to face him completely. He sat on the bed, his mask off beside him, revealing his bruised features and busted lip. My lamp being a soft glow amidst the darkness of my room, illuminated the man I happily called my lover. 

"What the hell happened? Was it that bad tonight?" I questioned, getting up and sitting beside him, turning him to face me. 

"Gas station robbery. It was a little difficult, but I managed," he responded, meeting my eyes with a small smile. 

"You idiot," I commented, returning the smile before standing up once more.

I walked into my bathroom, grabbing the hydrogen peroxide and cotton balls I've learned to keep close and out in the open for quick grabbing. I sighed as I went back to the bed, sitting in front of Peter. He scooted closer and positioned himself so my legs rested comfortably around his waist, giving me full access to his face. 

"You should take it easy more often. I can't kiss you when your lip is busted like this," I said, opening the bottle of hydrogen peroxide and dowsing a cotton ball in it. 

"Who said you couldn't?" He asked, resting his hands on my thighs, as he usually does when I'm cleaning his facial wounds. 

"I did because I'm not causing you pain. Now hush and let me do this," I answered, causing Peter to laugh quietly and poke my ribs. 

I smacked his hands gently and smiled a little, settling myself once more and leaning forward. I gently dabbed his lip with the cotton ball, feeling him squeeze my thighs as he tensed. The light was enough for me to see the wound and how he closed his eyes, his breath fanning against my hand. 

When I was done with Peter's lip I placed the used cotton ball to the side and placed a gentle kiss on his cheek. He opened his eyes and gave me a smile, squeezing my thighs once more before I pulled my legs in front of me and crossed them. 

He pulled me back to him, wrapping my legs around him and sitting me in his lap as he held me. A childish giggle sounded from me at the movement. I rested my head on his chest and he lay on his back, letting me rest on him. 

"It's always nice to come home to a friendly face," Peter sighed, rubbing his hands on my back. 

"Well, it'll last a lot longer as long as you stay as safe as you can and keep coming home," I stated, nuzzling  my face into his shoulder. 

"You act like I just came out of the hospital," he commented. 

"I just worry about you, Pete. You know that," I sighed, looking up at him. 

"I know, baby. I know," he replied, placing a very light kiss on my forehead, being wary of his busted lip. 

We lay in silence after that, simply enjoying the comfort of each other's presence. He continued to rub my back in a comforting motion while I lay on top of him. I was dozing off when Peter shifted beneath me, pulling me out of my sleepy trance. 

"What's wrong?" I asked, looking up at him with confusion and slight worry. 

"I need a shower," he told me, looking only semi-guilty at his statement. 

"Then go get your shower. I'll bring you clean clothes and a fresh towel, okay?" I said, lifting myself off of Peter and getting off the bed. 

"I can do it myself. You can stay here and rest," he said, lifting himself into a sitting position. 

"No. You go get out of your suit and clean up. I'll take care of everything else," I argued, crossing my arms to signal I made up my mind. 

"Okay, I got it. I'm going to the bathroom," Peter announced, lifting his hands in defeat and standing, making his way towards the bathroom. 

"I love you," I called after him, smiling as I grabbed a pair of clean sweatpants and boxers for him from the dresser drawers. 

"I love you too," he replied, turning on the bathroom light and closing the door. 

I shook my head with a small laugh and a smile played on my lips. It was always fun taking care of Peter. Especially after his long nights like this.