Chapter 1

The sound of children screaming and laughing drifted over the high wooden fence from the backyard as Steve and Bucky walked up the driveway towards the Paxton residence. As they climbed the steps of the porch, Bucky looked around at the picture-perfect house and neighborhood with a surly expression.

"I still don't get why I'm here," he grumbled, head bowed with his right fist stuffed into the pocket of his black bomber jacket. "It's not like I'm an Avenger."

"Not officially, no. You're like our mascot." Bucky shot Steve an incredulous look, so he relented. "I'd really appreciate the company, alright? I have the feeling it's gonna be a long day."

"I'm not exactly what you call kid-friendly," Bucky warned.

"Kids love you," Steve lied, giving the front door a polite but firm knock.

They stood shoulder to shoulder in silence as they waited for somebody to answer. Bucky absentmindedly scratched his left shoulder, glancing at the empty space where his arm used to be before turning back to face the front door with a stern expression. Steve, meanwhile, shifted from his right foot to his left, let out a sigh of frustration, and readjusted the rear of his pants, the tight leather creaking as he did so. Bucky gave Steve a sideways glance and smirked.

"Problems?"

"Nothing that I can't handle," Steve replied before muttering under his breath. "Damn wedgies. I've always hated this suit."

"Why are you wearing it then?"

"Because even though carbon polymer is a lot more comfortable, the kids will no doubt expect to see me in the old red, white and blue outfit," he explained.

"Should I have dressed up as Hitler so that you could knock me out in front of the kids? Just like the good ol' days?" Bucky joked.

"Definitely not." The door swung open then and the pair were greeted with a slim, blonde woman wearing a paper party hat and a flustered expression. Steve and Bucky fixed smiles onto their faces and greeted her in unison, "Afternoon, ma'am."

Maggie Lang grinned when she instantly recognized her special guest. "Wow, you actually made it!" She eyed Steve's outfit approvingly. "Love the costume, by the way."

"Actually, it's a uniform," he corrected her, but she took no notice. Instead, she shifted her focus onto Bucky, who in his bomber jacket and cargo pants looked decidedly out of place next to America's first celebrated superhero. "I'm sorry, I don't think I recognize you. Are you a superhero, too?"

"No, ma'am," he replied quickly.

"He's actually my sidekick," Steve teased, earning him a sharp look from Bucky. "This is James Buchanan Barnes."

A flicker of recognition flitted across her face but she was quick to smother it. "Oh! Well, then it's lovely to have you here, James."

"Just call me Bucky."

"Bucky." She glanced past Steve's shoulder with a slight frown. "I thought Falcon was supposed to be coming with you?"

"He's on his way," Steve assured her. "He'll be making more of a dramatic entrance than us."

"Oh, how exciting! And would you look at that, you brought presents, too! You shouldn't have..."

"Where is the birthday girl?" asked Steve.

"Cassie's out in the backyard with the other kids." Maggie took the large gift adorned with unicorn wrapping paper from Steve's outstretched hands before stepping aside for them. "Thor and Spiderman are already here. Please, come in! Wipe your feet..."