Chapter Two

• Dedicated to Sophia Ann Dick

Beep, beep, beep.

            Sonia groaned. Too early. Hitting the alarm clock to off, she peered one groggy eye open, a few golden strands clinging to her sweatsticky forehead. Pulling the comforter up closer over her neck, she stretched a purely paralyzing stretch that left her awake.

            Her feet hit the cool floor, pads catching with her sleep-warm toes. The covers behind her rustled, and she turned her gaze to see a fluffy Martin come jogging from under the comfortable covers, eyes wide with the thought of food.

            After feeding the round feline, Sonia rummaged through her drawers. She retrieved a white blouse that would go over a black tank top nicely, and her favored pair of jeans, ripped lightly on the thighs. Smoothing her hair back, she stepped into the bathroom.

            After a shower that left her widely awake and her muscles ready to bear the day, she scrubbed her toothbrush over pearly, straight teeth, and then brushed back her hair into her common ponytail, dry on her neck. She added a layer of eyeliner to her eyes, thin amongst her long lashes, which caused her emory depths to gain a more relaxed, grandiloquent look.

            Smiling once at herself in the mirror, Sonia stepped from the bathroom and back into the colder main room. Humming softly, she packed up her bags, and then slipped on her shoes – no hurry, no fuss. Rubbing the back of her hand at her nose, she stepped from the apartment and into the hall, walking down it peaceably. Her shoes patted on the ground softly with each step, music whispering silly tales through her headphones and into her ears.

            The morning was cooler today; it was becoming fall now, and even the trees on the edge of the streets showed colors of flame, orange, and a butterscotch. A few leaves sat on the dampened sidewalk, the tips of the grass bending to the sun and dribbling overnight water into the thirsty earth.

            A skeleton of a beautiful city remained, what with the burnt edges of buildings, the scent of pot heavy in the alleyways Sonia walked past. Windows of cheerier buildings were boasting labels for cigarettes, drinks, the newest medication, save the people of cancer, Sally’s Beauty Salon. Doors opened and shut, carrying in and out all types of people.

            In one yard a child played, smacking his stubby hands into a glob of mud in the middle of the sidewalk leading up to a lovely home. The boy was maybe four, with blue eyes, a round face, and a few spikes of red hair on his head, freckles dappling his tan cheeks. He wore overalls, and smiled at Sonia as she walked by, mud splattered beside his mouth and across the short bridge of his nose. Sonia smiled back, and the kid bounced to his feet, dashing up the walk and into the screen door of the house. Sonia merely smiled once more, and continued on.

            A man stepped into a black car ahead of her, glancing once over his shoulder at a woman who was a dainty short. She wore a sweatshirt and looked tired, but still gave the man a happy smile, settling into the passenger seat and slamming the door shut.

            The coffee shop was quieter than usual for the time of morning that it was. A few chairs were still up on round tables, worn from the rubber pads of laptop bottoms, stained with coffee and lattes that had been dropped while working. Sonia loved the place, and had come here every day last year. At the counter stood a girl a few years younger than her, smiling warmly in greeting.

            After Sonia had ordered her usual – caramel latte, light on the coffee – she turned, and sat down in one of the rough chairs, running her fingers over a dent in the table. Once her order called her back to the counter to retrieve her drink, she raised again, book bag clacking noisily at her hips. The mug felt warm in her palm, and she called thanks before walking out the door, savoring the sound of the bell above the door tinkling her exit. Continuing on down the sidewalk, Sonia took small sips of the hot drink. Destination, of course, that she had in mind was the university once more. Already the week had slipped by, from Monday to a very cool Friday. A weekend that was un-booked, a weekend that Sonia could enjoy herself.