C h a p t e r Tw e l v e

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "When The Lights Go Out" By The Black Keys

C h a p t e r T w e l v e >

Charlie wakes up to the scent of his mate enveloped around him. Hugging her closer to him he inhales the scent again and notices something isn't right. Opening his eyes he finds himself not hugging Sunny but instead hugging a pillow. Sitting up he throws the pillow away from him and shoots out of bed.

Where is she?

Practically tearing his bedroom door of the hinges he runs around the entire house and doesn't see her anywhere. He catch her scent trail but it is faint, maybe an hour old. The fact doesn't soothe him at all. If anything it just throws him into a deeper panic. Remembering that her stuff is still in the guest bedroom he heads that way and slams the door open, scaring the still sleeping Regan into consciousness.

"What the hell, Charlie?!"

Charlie looks around the room and realizes that all of Sunny's stuff is gone. His wolf is a snarling mess in his head as a whole array of situations flood his mind. What if she was taken? What if she's in danger? Charlie runs his hands through his hair roughly as he continues to look around with no possible idea of what to do.

"Charlie?"

"She's gone."

Regan frowns at him, "Gone? Who's...Sunny?"

"Yes, Sunny." He snaps, "She's gone."

"Did you check the for the car?"

He pauses, "The car?"

"Yeah, she still had that stolen car out front. Did you make sure it was still there?"

Charlie doesn't even respond. He runs out of the room and slams open the front door only for his heart to sink when he finds only his truck outside. She took the car and left. The realization is devastating. Sitting down on one of the porch steps, Charlie drops his head into his hands. He's not going to cry, he's a grown man for shit's sake. He shouldn't be crying but when he feels a tear escape he knows that idea is out the window.

"Charlie..."

"Just go inside, Reggie." Charlie says thickly, just wanting to be alone.

"She left a note."

Charlie's head snaps up and he looks over his shoulder at his sister. She looks a mess. Her long, dark burly hair is a tangled mess on the top of her head and she has sleep lines all over her face. Also she's dressed in a pair of rubber ducky pajama shorts and a yellow tank top that makes her look twelve instead of fifteen. Still that doesn't keep his attention long. The folded piece of paper in her hands does though.

"Give it here." Charlie demands.

Regan scowls at him, "Would it kill you to be polite."

He scowls right back at her, "Give me the damn note, Regan, I'm not playing."

With a roll of her dark eyes Regan gives him the note before coming to sit beside him on the porch step. Charlie unfolds the letter quickly and scans the letter, miffed that its not even addressed to him. Its addressed to Regan but it does refer to him.

Regan,

Your brother is probably shitting bricks right now. Calm the giant baby down and tell him I'll be back tomorrow morning. I have something to take care of. And no, I don't need him following me. I'm a big girl, I have this handled.