: ̗̀➛ chapter one

"JIA LI, remember this

"JIA LI, remember this. Our duty is to protect Ta Lo from outsiders. The Dark Gate holds something dreadful and it is our responsibility to cast away outsiders trying to get to it." Her mother had said to her while brushing her hair. She fixed it in a tight bun, fit for an afternoon of training.

"Yes Mother, I understand," said the little girl. Her eyes darted to the group of men and women training, a small unit led by her own mother. Jia Li's mother stood and reached out her hand to her, which she hurriedly took. She was placed in the middle and in front of everyone else, being the youngest and having the privilege of being the daughter of Fang Ming Zhu.

"Welcome, my daughter. Someday, you will take over this position of mine, in the meantime, let us guide and train you to be the best any of us has ever seen." Ming Zhu smiled softly at her. The young Jia Li felt warm and cold at the same time in the gaze of her Mother. She bowed deeply, "It's an honor Mother."

Day and night, rain or shine, she had trained through her own sweat, tears, and blood. The weight of her entire village seemingly rested on her shoulders. She practiced the technique of Tai Chi, she was familiar with the feel of any blade in the palm of her hands, as well as a bow and arrow for more long-ranged fights. She had a fire glint in her eyes as she trained, all for the sake of her village, for the protection of ー

"Jia Li." The strict voice of her mother resonated along the grassy field she was training in. She paused, "That's enough, it's time to rest."

"Yes, Mother." She hated resting. Hated the feeling of her muscles not exerting any kind of force. Not liking the place her thoughts wander to when it wasn't preoccupied by the years of training her mother had drilled into her.

Truth be told, she hated it. The metaphorical weight on her shoulders was too much. She hated the way her mother looked at her with pride as she took down a group of fighters in training.

After a day of training where her mother was particularly strict with her. She was with the Dijiangs as she was hiding from the pressure of training.

"Hello, Jia Li." She jumped and immediately stood up when she saw Ying Nan standing there with a soft smile on her face.

"Hello," Jia Li hesitated for a moment, "Are you here to take me back to my Mother?" Ying Nan chuckled for a moment. "No dear, come sit." The older woman held a baby Dijiang in her arms as she sat on a boulder. Jia Li slowly sat beside her.

"Is there a particular reason why you're hiding out here?" The Guardian has not once looked her way as she asked the question. "You can tell me anything you know. We both know how your mother is so I'll do you a favor and keep it from her." Jia Li smiled at that.

The young girl took a deep breath and was mentally debating whether to open up to the woman about the thoughts that had been plaguing her mind for weeks now.