Prolouge

"No you can't take her away!" My mom was yelling at someone on the phone as soon as I walked in. "What you're going to take Megan away from me?! What about our son?! Don't you love Patrick?!" I knew who was on the other line. My 'dad'. Patrick and I hate him. On most or all of his visitation days he would get drunk and leave us on the side of the road.

I quickly grabbed Patrick as he walked up behind me. I put up a finger to my lips and pointed to the line of trees. This was our signal to go to the club house. The club house was a little vacant shack that Patrick and I had found one night on a walk. We had found some old sign language papers in the old thing. We taught our selves sign language, and we learned morse code.

We ran out the door and to our front yard. We took off our school packs and hid them behind the bushes. We grabbed our emergency packs, and ran off to the woods. We had emergency packs in case we ever had a situation where we couldn't be in the house. Don't get me wrong our mom was awesome. She wasn't able to provide a lot for us but she did the best she could. Our emergency packs were filled with 5 bottles of water, 10-15 candy bars, sleeping bags and blankets, flash lights, and batteries. We had a radio hidden at the club house.

We both ran as fast as we could, with Patrick leading the way. We ran into the tree line, finding our little path that only we knew. We ran as quickly as possible while also being careful to not trip and get hurt. We ran back into the thick tree line for about half a mile, until we finally found our club house.

As soon as we were in arms distance Patrick swung the door open and ran inside. I slammed it shut behind us. We closed it tightly so we would hear if someone was trying to get in. In our club house we had found an old cabinet, but it worked. We had hidden items that we couldn't carry with us in it. We had a radio, lamps, matches, extra blankets, pillows, extra batteries, a small power generator, and extra phone chargers. Over the years Patrick and I saved up the money to buy all this stuff. Our mom knew about it, and we made her a map if she wanted to come get us, or even sometimes stay over with us.

Today was different though. Patrick and I had gone over this drill so many times, it was practically seared into our brains. We threw down our packs and got to work. Patrick tossed me an old chain with a clip on it. It was used as a lock incase bears or unwanted visitors tried to get in. We had never had to use it for anything like that. Though we did use it when we camped out here.

We set up our sleeping courters in the corner. It would be dark soon, meaning it would be cold. We put some blankets on the floor and our sleeping bags on top. We lit a lamp and put it near us. Since I was the oldest I always slept closer to the door. Patrick and I had always been close. The kids at our school thought it was weird. We didn't mind though. Patrick is 2 years younger than me. So he's in 6th grade and I'm in 8th. Mom texted me asking if we were at the club house. I checked to make sure Patrick was asleep. When I turned around he was snoring and slightly shivering. I pulled the other blankets over us and texted my mom back.

She said to stay there until morning but to hurry home once we were up. I soon dozed off.