chapter one

As the sun descended below the horizon, casting an eerie glow through the bathroom window, the girl and boy stood in a tense silence, their mutual disdain overshadowed by the impending darkness and the terrifying unknown that lurked beyond the locked door.

The world had changed overnight. Shadows morphed into grotesque figures, and silence now held a haunting weight. As dusk settled upon the desolate town, Avery and Mason found themselves huddled together in the cramped bathroom of an abandoned gas station. The fragile barrier of the locked door was all that stood between them and the unspeakable horrors lurking outside.

Mason's heart pounded against his chest, his breaths shallow and rapid. His hazel eyes darted around the dimly lit room, searching for any signs of escape or reprieve from the impending doom. Avery, on the other hand, remained still, her face etched with stoic determination.

"Think they're gone?" Mason whispered, his voice laced with trepidation. The sound of his own voice was enough to send chills down his spine.

Avery glanced at him, her piercing blue eyes reflecting a mixture of fear and caution. With each passing moment, her silence spoke volumes. It was as if words had lost their meaning in this new reality.

"I don't know," she finally murmured, her voice barely audible. "But we can't risk it. We have to wait until sunrise."

Mason nodded, though his frustration was palpable. He had always been a talker, seeking solace and understanding through words. But now, words seemed inadequate, incapable of bridging the vast gulf that separated them.

As the minutes ticked by, an unspoken camaraderie began to form. They shared stolen glances, expressions that conveyed the depths of their fears and hopes. Each time the monsters outside growled and clawed at the door, their eyes met, silently acknowledging the shared terror that united them.

Time slipped away in the darkness, but neither of them noticed. They were lost in their own thoughts, navigating the labyrinth of their shattered lives. Avery's mind was a whirlwind of memories, fragments of a past she desperately clung to. Mason, too, was haunted by regrets, his dreams and aspirations now obscured by the consuming darkness.

In the midst of their solitude, a whisper escaped Mason's lips. "I used to hate you, you know."

Avery turned to face him, her gaze steady. "I know," she said softly. "I used to hate you too."

A faint glimmer of understanding flickered between them, as if the chaos outside had forced them to shed their animosity and confront the harsh realities of survival. They were no longer adversaries, but two souls clinging to the fragile thread of existence.

The night wore on, its weight pressing heavily upon them. Avery and Mason found comfort in the silence, in the absence of words that no longer served their purpose.

Mason traced his fingers along the peeling wallpaper, his mind a tangled web of thoughts and fears. He turned to Avery, "How are you holding up?" he asked, his voice filled with genuine concern.

Avery's cerulean eyes met his, reflecting a mixture of exhaustion and resilience. She shrugged, her lips parting hesitantly. "I'm scared," she admitted, her voice barely audible.

Mason nodded. He knew her well enough to understand the depths of her emotions were not easily shared. Instead, he chose to offer her his presence, an unspoken promise that they were in this together.

Silence wrapped around them like a fragile cocoon, shielding them from the outside horrors that continued to taunt their senses. Mason leaned against the chipped rusted sink, his thoughts drifting to the life they had left behind, to the dreams that now seemed distant and unattainable.

"What were you planning to do before all of this?" Mason asked, his voice tinged with longing.

Avery's gaze softened, a flicker of vulnerability passing through her eyes. "I wanted to travel," she confessed, her voice
carrying a trace of wistfulness. "See the world, experience different cultures."

Mason's eyes sparkled with intrigue, mirroring the dreams he had once harbored. "That sounds incredible," he replied, a hint of nostalgia coloring his words. "Where would you have gone first?"

Avery smiled, a rare display of warmth. "I always imagined starting with a cross-country road trip, visiting national parks and hidden gems along the way," she answered, her voice gaining strength. "There's so much beauty out there, waiting to be discovered."

The monsters outside growled, a harsh reminder of the reality that confined them to this grim sanctuary. Yet, within the limited space of the bathroom, Mason and Avery found a second of peace in their shared dreams and the hope that resided within their hearts.

Mason's voice softened, interlaced with a newfound determination. "Maybe one day, when all of this is over, we can go on that road trip together," he suggested, his eyes fixed on Avery's.

Her lips curled into a tentative smile, a glimmer of hope igniting in her eyes. "You wish," she replied, her voice accompanied by a giggle.

Time slipped away unnoticed as they continued to exchange stories and dreams, weaving a tapestry of hope in the face of unimaginable darkness. Though the monsters outside continued their relentless assault, Mason and Avery were fortified by their shared moments, building a fortress of connection amidst the chaos.