15 | Friends Stay Close, Enemies Stay Closer

Majority of Tilly's first day as ATN's new Head of Digital had been filled with introductory meetings with new managers, new teams, and new stakeholders. She was thankful that Tom was with her throughout most of the morning but she couldn't help but feel overwhelmed at the sudden influx of new information. This was a whole new world to her. It had felt like only yesterday that she was learning the ropes in cruises and now she was thrust in the middle of an industry she had no experience in.

"Apples and oranges Matilda. They're both fruit, just different," Tom said in a weirdly reassuring tone, trying to make her feel at ease after she had expressed her concerns with the new role – followed by tapping her lightly on the top of her head.

The head pat wasn't necessary by any means but Tom had weird ways of showing affection, gratefulness or any form of positive emotion. He'd often do strange things when nobody was around, his way of opening up she guessed.

He had also given her a tour of the 'trenches' and introduced her to the 'worker bees' on the upper levels of ATN, meandering their way through the maze like passages of the television network. It was a lot darker than the mid level offices she was used to being on when she worked in cruises; none of these floors had windows. ATN operated from the first 4 levels of the building, the studios and main news room situated on the ground level, with the main bull pen of office workers sitting on level 3 and 4.

The floors ATN was on had such tall ceilings that it made her feel like she was in an underground bunker rather than bustling New York City. And despite the news room being on ground level, they walked down at least two sets of stairs to get there — which confused her. Were they underground or did the buildings levels technically start from the fourth storey? Tom assured her she would learn the 'lay of the land' before she knew it and that she shouldn't waste any brain cells thinking more on it.

"And finally, this is your new home. I trust that you'll make it all gaudy and tacky by hanging up Christmas lights or putting a lava lamp on your desk. I don't care, but just remember your decor decisions reflect poorly on me," Tom said nonchalantly as they entered her office. She silently wanted him to take a photo of her next to the shiny metal plaque on her door that had her name and title on it, but she didn't want to embarrass herself. She also hated her name, cursing her parents for their poor choice — but she still wanted a photo to send to them.

"Is that like, a little welcome pack?" She asked as she stopped in the middle of the room and spotted a large black box on the otherwise empty desk.

He shrugged, "Probably a bunch of pens and notepads from HR and their sappy bullshit. You all good?"

She sat down in the large leather chair and dropped her bag onto the ground at the base of the desk. Even if it was fucking ATN she had joined, she couldn't deny the excitement over her sprawling new office and fancy new title. Tilly nodded at Tom who was already halfway out the door, smiling as he gave her a quick thumbs up as he left.

The box was no larger than the size of an A4 sheet of paper, adorned with a perfectly tied bow in black satin ribbon. Tucked underneath it's binding was a small rectangular card edged with delicate gold foil.

congrats on the new gig - smart move
s.h

Her eyes squinted ever so slightly as she tried to recall anyone she knew with those initials. Simon Henkel, her old college professor? No, he was probably dead by now. What about Sascha Hargreaves, the bitchy girl from her elementary school? She swore on her mothers life that she'd murder Tilly for sticking gum in her hair. Was this gift here to kill her? Or maybe it was Se-Hoon Park from her very first job as a barista. He told her he thought she had a strange nose once. None of them would send her a gift though, given she hadn't spoken to any of them in years. She doubted if they even knew where she worked.