THE EXPERIMENT

I wrote a short story for A minor school assignment and this it.

The Experiment

Written by – i-am-not-a-short-person (my tumblr username)

 Description / Summary:

A thirteen-year-old's backstory who is taken to a lab and triggered some old memories of the past. The child is punished with death but can never die, what will happen?

- Story:

I can't remember anything but the sudden loud sound, it came from all directions. The blackness swallowed any vision I had left that night. When I awoke all, I could see through the blur of my vision was red, blood. I rubbed my eyes to see if I could see more clearly, I opened them and saw a room of blood once again. I felt my legs go out remembering a piece of my past. Sitting on the ground I continue to think, the only reason I'm here had happened again. A few years ago, I had awoken in a room of white, in what I assumed was a uniform. A lab, the only one in my town. For the past several years I have been an experiment. I've experienced many painful things since being here, but nothing could have compared to that night. The night I had murdered my family, the people who cared for me the most had died to my bare hands. I never wanted to kill another soul, I wished for it not to happen again. But it did, and I had no control over the matter.

I had killed five scientists and a nurse, they were mad. That night I fell asleep on cold, dirty ground. I was locked in the courtyard at nights, no food for breakfast or lunch. Dinners barely had enough for me to survive another day, this was the punishment to drive people to die to their own hands. I won't succumb to death, I'll survive. I always do, no matter if I'm shot with a bullet or fed enough poison to kill a whole family. I will always survive, no matter what. They know this, and yet they still try. I've tried to escape many times and have successfully done it five times out of the hundreds.

I was in a lab because I was dangerous, no one knew who I was anymore. I didn't even know, I lost everything that made me human the day the incident happened. I no longer get attach for things or have the good, happy feelings. I will never feel those again as long as I'm locked away in this damned place. Why would anyone put a child through this? I was five when I was put in the white room, I'm now thirteen. No one gave me any kindness or attention, not that I cared though. Everyone in this place were monsters, even me. I'll never forgive any of them, I may never give them a gory death, but I'll always laugh at their grave. My death will never come, until I'm to old to be useful to this world. I wish I wasn't the child chosen for this treatment, but I never get what I wish for.

Today is the day, I've planned the escape with the other two my age. We will gather under the willow tree and run for the first gate then dart right to the side wall. We'll jump it and jump the second after it, then all we'll have to do is run through the forest. Once we get to the tree line, we should be able to run to the town, or at least thats what I thought. Last minute right before we were finally free, we were surrounded. Someone had snitched and told them are plan, who would have done that?! Mary, Mary did, of course! She is the "Teacher's pet" of the lab, snitches on everyone. How could I forget, that was a mistake.

As punishment I was submerged in water and chemicals for a few days, I couldn't breathe and went through the cycle of dying and reviving. I was the only one with this harsh punishment, Mary was had no punishment and Dave, Dave was stuck outside like I was a few days ago. I have no name, that was lost many years ago. I envy those who can remember all there past and not just glimpses of the red, bad areas. The only warm feeling memory I have was from the day of the incident.

My mother had baked a chocolate cake, it was my fifth birthday. I had a party at home with my parents and three siblings. I was the youngest, we were all loved the same. I fell asleep that night on the couch binge watching a comedy series with my loved ones. When I awoke the next day I saw blood, but also very few pieces of bodies. I heard sirens, loud ones. The blood was on my hands, and I felt a rush of sorrow course through my body.

That was the incident I now and forever will dread. When I was unsubmerged from the liquid, I was angry, I felt the need for blood. I was brought back to the white room, but i could see the stains of red. It smelled strongly of bleach, disgusting. If I were to escape, I'll have to do it alone. I started on the next plan, analyzing the five plans I had memorized that worked. I left without a trace at 4:46 am, the time when they aren't watching.

I made it out and ran towards the closest train station. I memorized the times and planned out how to get on. At 6:00 am, I made it onto a train heading to Lander. A seven-hour trip straight there, it would have been perfect. If he wasn't there, he is the only survivor. My father, he decided to put me in the lab, he tries to kill me every two days. He's done many things and to my dismay, this will be one of them.

My father, the only survivor. He survived, but now he seeks revenge. How dare he do this, he signed off on me being tortured for the previous eight years. I don't usually want to kill, but whenever I see this man my blood boils. I want to take his life; I want to see the light disappear from his eyes. When I see him, I have the urge to break every bone in his body then skin him alive. I want to kill him; he's done everything possible to have this resentment.

This time he didn't bring me back, he took me to a cemetery. A gravestone had my name on it, the casket in the ground was open along with the dirt piled to the side. I was buried alive, to die and revive. An endless cycle until broken, I will never have the peace of staying dead. I'll always feel pain, I have already been broken.

I was buried alive; I found the pen I hid in my pocket. I used it to break the casket and crawl out of an eight-foot hole. I clawed my way to the surface and ran. I ran and ran; I made it to a cliff. I jumped; my body went splat. I felt my body rebuild it's self, every piece of me reattaching. I had abilities, I wasn't at all human or at least no longer human.

I left; I will never go back. That was my last thought, I was caught. I wasn't caught by anyone important, but it was a human. I heard the sirens within moments, All I could see was red. It happened again; the poor boy had died. I'll leave the body and dart to the gate. I got out and ran to the station, I got on! No longer will I see 'Father'.

It's been nine hours and we made it to the last stop, Canotham. I ran through the streets, I fled the town and entered another. I slept in a tree and continued my journey, I got through six more towns. I found the best place I could stay, but I was caught by the street police. Thrown in jail, atleast it's better then being in the lab was what I thought. My clothes gave it all away, I was sent back to the dreadful place. I'll never escape, but I'll always try.

I wanted to leave, but I knew better. If I leave, I'll come right back to where I started. I'll do what they want, but I'll never listen to these fools. If I was religious, I would pray for hateful things upon those who have wronged me. I wanted out badly, but only a fool would try to escape while they are supervised heavily.

Will I go back? No, I will never go back to any place I have been. I'll escape one last time and will succeed. Never forgive or forget, those that have wronged me will feel my anger. I prepare for my finale escape, the last one has to be perfect. I planned for days, no one will ever catch me. I won't let anything distract me.

I grab everything I need, everything that I'll use. I want this to be the last plan, no I need this to be my last plan. I try to remember the trigger, but I can't. I fell asleep searching the archive of thoughts racing through my brain till I find the trigger. I found it at last! Now to wait till it's time. I use my trigger a finale time, everything went black.

When I awoke I couldn't remember anything but the sudden loud sound, that came from all directions.

THE END