A Landau's Heart

TW: Implied emotional neglect; Self-neglect / Self-deprecating thoughts 

A mist forms in front as the captain breathes. He stands on the cliff of the snowy plains and watches little specks of snow sway downward. Below him is the city of Belobog — the city he sworn to protect ever since he could remember — and the view of it from afar never ceases to amaze the captain. The city seemed miniscule from where he was, tiny buildings were arranged in a maze-like manner that created multiple alleyways for people to slip through, yet it was also frighteningly huge, massive gears that circled atop the city and, in the middle of it all, the Consul Residence. 

That was just the overworld side of Belobog. There was the underworld, a place he had never seen until the Trailblazers solved the Stellaron problem in Jarilo-VI that was causing the Eternal Freeze. Well, he believes he has never seen the underworld, because he audibly remembers his father being against it. He wanted to befriend those that hailed from below, for they live a life he knows not, but he would have his wrist gripped by his father and pulled back to their estate. He wondered why, and he still does, because are they not people of Belobog as well?

Is it not a Landau's duty to protect all of Belobog?

He swallows, now is not the time to think of such things. His father's voice echoes in his head, "Remember, Gepard Landau. Doubt breeds arrogance, and doubt breeds evil. As a model for Belobog, you shouldn't overthink." A simple, yet somewhat painful reminder of what he is. The captain takes a breath once more, then leaves.

He returns to the city and his clothes feel heavier than it usually does, but he ignores it. He's on-duty right now, personal affairs are to be dealt with later. His clothes — or armor, whatever you call it, it's a strange mishmash of layers — shift and clink with each step on the concrete streets. In contrast to the ever-cold nature of his home planet, the city was warm and bustling. The cable cars ring as the vehicles ran around, the people talk and chat — some solicit others and some whisper things — as they let the day pass, the multitude of businesses go on as people walk in and out their shops and stores.

Nothing seems to be off, the captain notes and was promptly interrupted when a child bumps to his legs. Like a wall, he remains still while the kid seems to have their momentum thrown back at them when they stumble back. They freeze, then they look up to see him slowly kneeling down — he should not scare the citizens, it would be unbefitting of his duty and role. "I-" the kid starts to sniffle as they realize whom they've met- "I'm sorry..." He stares quietly for a second before he raises a hand to gently put on top of their head. "There is no need to apologize. Just promise me to be careful next time-" he brings down his hand and sticks out his pinky- "Promise?"

The teary kid looks at him then at his big, gloved hand. It took a few seconds, but the kid wraps their pinky around his and a smile spread on their face, and they nod. "I promise, Mr. Captain!" He instinctively smiles, but his expressions only allow him to slightly quirk up the corner of his lips. "Now, run along," he says and the kid salutes playfully before separating with a wave. He returns the gesture and watches them come up to two adults, their parents who greet them with a big hug. He continues to watch, unable to tear away his gaze as all he could see was the beaming smiles on the child.

Was he able to smile like that?

He was quickly cut off from his thoughts when he sees the child pointing in his direction, probably telling their parents about him, so he gives them a polite bow before continuing on his patrol. After all, there was no time to sulk, no time to think about those thoughts, there was only Belobog and its citizens to worry about and that is his duty. A sigh slips from his lips, quiet and unthinking as he was unaware of it, and he treads on the streets once more. "Back to work."