Chapter 16: Dying Flames

My whole body was fucking shaking. I never thought this day will ever happen to me. Just four hours ago, I was walking my way to campus entrance when I got stopped by a police car. The officers strangely looked inside my backpack right away and found couple sachets of some illegal drug I don't fucking know what. I was puzzled too but they asked me to go with them to the station for questioning. It was embarrassing since other students and professors walking witnessed the scandal like a live footage of a finally solved crime. It was supposed to be the first day of final exams but turned out to be my exam of innocence. My heart wanted to explode but the police officers somewhat treated me nicely like they knew I was framed — or just I thought. Still, they had to report the incident because someone anonymously tipped them that I carry those drugs for me to sell inside the campus. It was absurd! For the past four hours, anything that was going on came into blur. There were only two things that was crystal to me, that I didn't have anything to do with those illegal drugs and this thing will fuck everything up — a big time fuck!

"Mr. Gallagher, would you like me to drive you to University?" an officer caught my attention outside the police station while I recollect all my soggy thoughts. He was just standing afar while I was being questioned inside the station. I shook my head "Officer, this will ruin my study here. What should I do?" I stupidly asked. "Kid, I seriously don't know. Some of our men were already investigating inside your campus. That's when we'll find out if you are telling the truth or not. For now, be thankful that you're free." he said frankly. I felt like I was crushed by two boulders, splattered my insides around. "So, if you're not going to the University, where should I take you?" the officer insisted. It was getting annoying since it still felt like he was suspicious about me. I wanted to use my phone to call somebody, anybody but not in front of this officer. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck! I couldn't think straight. I noticed him still waiting for my answer "No. I'm fine. Thank you for your concern Officer —" I was stunned when I saw his name on his uniform, Jefferson.

"—Jefferson. Do you know Niles Jefferson?" I blandly asked. Officer Jefferson frowned a little "How did you know Niles?" he asked back. My mind was working like a jigsaw — connecting and matching facts and events inside my head. I exhaled once "Nothing... Can I go now, Officer?" I asked. He finally nodded.

I walked furiously going to the nearest bus stop. I was trying to catch the closest trip. Luckily I did, I looked back to check if I was followed but there was no one. Rage was firing up inside me. I was thinking, I might know who framed me. Few days ago, I was told that Asher finally broke up with Vina. Everything Asher suspected about her was true. I knew it was true. There was also a confrontation between Asher and Laurent but I never knew the details since I was with Sophie, studying for the upcoming exams. I couldn't check on Asher because I promised Sophie to stay away from him and his friends. All I was getting was text updates from Daniel and Dmitri. Now, I wanted to call Asher but I should think smart. It was now my turn to confirm all my suspicions about this fucking thing. I quickly dialed Dmitri.

"What's up. Jacob? How was your finals?" he was always this innocent — and I had to bite.

"Hey Dmitri, exams were cancelled. Uhm, anyways, Do you know if Niles have relatives in the Police Department? Just a random question." I said, pretending to be jolly. I could hear Dmitri breathing as if he was thinking deep "Oh. Yeah! His half-brother was a police officer. I forgot his name but they both carry the Jefferson name." Dmitri calmly replied. I knew it! My eyes were squinting out of madness. "Dmitri, where are you?"

"Uhh now? I'm about to leave my apartment. I'm going to our hang out place. Laurent got some news fo—"

"Dmitri please pick me up at the corner of Jesse and 21st St. And don't tell anybody about this. Please."