Viii| FALLING

Chapter Eight: Falling

⋅⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : Fallin'

"Oh, baby, I can feel the rush of adrenaline"

The morning of a Quidditch match was usually a joyful occasion for Sapphire as the team often ate together and talked about their chances

The morning of a Quidditch match was usually a joyful occasion for Sapphire as the team often ate together and talked about their chances. Alex and Sapphire would playfully glare at each other from their tables while Jaden and Alicia rolled their eyes. It was just the way it was.

However, Slytherin was no longer playing due to 'Draco's injury' so they were playing Hufflepuff instead. Cedric and Sapphire wouldn't glare at each other, just give each other sheepish smiles as friends did.

They rather enjoyed playing matches against each other since they weren't in the same position. Sapphire's job was completely different to his and it meant they never got into any arguments. If anything, they'd joke about different things instead.

"It's going to be a tough one," said Wood, who wasn't eating anything.

"Stop worrying, Oliver," said Alicia soothingly, "We don't mind a bit of rain."

But it was considerably more than a bit of rain. Such was the popularity of Quidditch that the whole school turned out to watch the match as usual, but they ran down the lawns towards the Quidditch pitch, heads bowed against the ferocious wind, umbrellas being whipped out of their hands as they went. 

The team changed into their scarlet robes and waited for Wood's usual pre-match pep talk, but it didn't come. He tried to speak several times, made an odd gulping noise, then shook his head hopelessly and beckoned them to follow him.

The wind was so strong that they staggered sideways as they walked out onto the pitch. If the crowd was cheering they couldn't hear it over the fresh rolls of thunder. Sapphire didn't know Harry was supposed to find the snitch.

The Hufflepuffs were approaching from the opposite side of the pitch, wearing canary-yellow robes. The captains walked up to each other and shook hands: Cedric smiled at Oliver but Wood now looked as though he had lockjaw and merely nodded. 

Sapphire saw Madam Hooch's mouth form the words, "Mount your brooms." 

She pulled her right foot out of the mud with a squelch and swung it over her broom. Madam Hooch put her whistle to her lips and gave it a blast that sounded shrill and distant - they were off.

Within five minutes Sapphire was soaked to her skin and frozen, hardly able to see her team-mates as she clung the quaffle to her chest. She could barely hear the commentary from Lee as she threw the quaffle into the goal. It wasn't pleasant to play in and Sapphire didn't even know how long they had been playing for.