Chapter 3

An alarm in the building had gone off, no doubt from Zara's exiting. A minute later Randy came running in to find Rick staring at the computer the little blond infiltrated. The blaring music had been turned off and now Randy's rushing footsteps filled the room. The scurry of other men in the building sounded from the hall as they tried to find who tripped the alarm.

"Dad, are you okay? What happened?" He approached him, Rick's dark eyes still on the screen. He was glaring down his nose at something that made Randy curious. So, he made his way around the desk to get a view of the screen while giving his dad space. At first, he didn't understand what they were looking at. "Dad?" his gaze lifted to find Rick's calculated glare.

An animated flaming skull head against a black wallpaper filled the screen. The words "your move" flashed beneath the symbol.

"Well, that's upsetting." Rick said with lethal calm. Randy couldn't tell if his dad was bothered or angry.

"What is this, exactly?" Randy asked carefully.

"Oh, I forgot." Rick sighed before his eyes finally found his son. "You don't know." The words were heavier than expected. Like a hammer falling on top of Randy, trying to crush him. "Take me to Asahel, now."

***

The evening air chilled Asahel's skin and dark clouds loomed over, blocking out starlight and the moon. After staying a little too late after class, he was glad to be leaving the university. His gray Maserati Quattroporte chirped before the engine roared. The breeze was cold and every step he took closer to his car promised warmth inside it. When he reached the car, he didn't bother taking his time to climb in. He tossed his book bag to the passenger seat and settled, only to see movement in the rearview mirror.

"Gawh!" Asahel gasped before scowling and turning around.

Rick smirked, looking far too comfortable in the back seat. He was sitting up now and rested one leg up on the knee of his other. His hands moved behind his head as he leaned into the leather seat. Messy strands of black hair fell in front of those twinkling, dark eyes. They were different and Asahel knew who was looking back at him.

"We've been compromised." Rick said, ignoring the fact that his presence was an unpleasant surprise and furthermore, unwanted. He dropped his hands, "a few knights need to go out tonight."

Asahel took in a cleansing breath through his nose. He could feel his heart slowing back down and the pulse in his veins easing his nerves. It wouldn't take much to have his gun in hand, aimed and ready to shoot. If Rick became a threat he'd be ready.

"How did you-"

Rick held up a spare remote key, "you really shouldn't waste your time with stupid questions."

Asahel stared with a deadpan expression, making Rick laugh. "I'm not in the mood for games."

"And you think I am?" Rick leaned forward, tapping his own chest with his fingertips. "It's our move Asahel."

Asahel grumbled. He wanted to throw Rick out of the car and drive away. As if Rick could read his mind, he leaned back in the seat, getting more comfortable.

"You still have to do what I say." His tone was like ice, making Asahel give him a second look.

A tired headache pounded against Asahel's skull, "well what happened and where am I going?"

Rick smirked, knowing he'd won. "Sugar house quarters. You can even swing home and grab Max. She'd probably like to get out."

Max was clear across the valley. There was no such thing as "swinging" by when she was completely out of the way.