Chapter 9 ~ Actions Hurt, Words Sting~

We drove to Jace and Sophie's house, Lion drove while Cindy sat next to him and Via and Viaro were in the middle of the car leaving me and Sam in the back. Lion had cranked up the music and was talking to Cindy and Via and Viaro were both sleeping. I looked out the window to see all the mountains and houses pass me by which reminded of how it was when Lion and I first drove here. I turned away from the window when I felt Sam's hand touching my leg. His touch made me shiver, the warm of his hand felt good.

When we arrived at the house there was a note inside from Sam and Cindy's father that said he and his wife would be back later tonight.

"I'm not surprised" Sam said dropping his bag on the floor.

"Why don't we all go to the beach" Cindy says to us.

"Sounds good" Lion says to her and we all head back to the car.

By the time we got to the beach it was around noon. We grabbed our swimsuits and set up our chairs and towels on the sand. Once we were all done we sat down and relaxed in our own areas. I looked around for Lion and noticed he was sitting down near Cindy. I thought this would be a good time to try and talk to him. I started to walk over to him "Lion..." I called out then stopped when I was close enough to hear what he was talking about.

"She's your sister Lion, you can't ignore her forever." Cindy says to Lion.

"I know, it's hard to be around her right now. Every time I see her I'm reminded of my mom and it hurts especially this month because it's her anniversary." Lion says.

My feet stop and my body becomes numb. I'd been so caught up with Sam and Via and Viaro that I had forgotten that my birthday was coming up. Usually I avoided thinking about it because it hurt to think my birthday was the same day as my mother's passing. Before I knew it tears started to fill my eyes and the sand became blurry.

Cindy looked and up noticed me "Lion... behind you" she says pointing towards me. He turns around and see me "Posie... I..." Lion says.

"Posie what? It hurts me too you know and to find out my brother doesn't want to be around me" I say my voice breaking.
"You weren't supposed to hear that, I didn't mean it like that" he says to me.

"You wouldn't have said it you hadn't meant it Lion" I say tears now streaming down my face as I run of somewhere far away from him.

"Posie wait..." Lion says about to follow me until Cindy stops him "She needs some space right now" she says holding on to Lion.

Viaro and Via had saw what happened and they came up to me "Posie are you okay?" Viaro says about to hug me but I push him away.

"I'm sorry... I don't want to talk right now you guys" I say faintly heading towards the car.

"I'm going after her" Viaro says. Via grabs his shoulders pushing him back "Viaro don't, she wants to be alone" she says.

Before I get to the car Sam pulled me aside behind the car.

"Let me go Sam, I'm not in the mood" I say trying to push him off even though he doesn't budge. Instead he pulls me into his arms and hugs me tightly. His chest is warm and I can smell his cologne. I tug on his back and sob no longer holding in the tears. I slide down on my knees and he goes down with me. He strokes my hair holding me close while I cry.

"You know, my mother was deeply in love with my father. She would have gave him the world if she could. While my dad loved my mother he just wasn't in love with her. He fell for another woman breaking my mothers heart. I've never been on good terms with him since" he says softly.

I look up at him and for a second I thought I saw a hint of sadness in his eyes.

He wiped the tears of my face "You shouldn't let what he said, ruin your relationship" he says. Maybe he's right, Lion's words stung but at the end of the day he was still my brother and I knew that deep down he loved me too even if I couldn't see it right now.