Chapter One: Meet the bad boy

Salt Kiss surf boy leans against a wooden fence. Hes got dark brown hair that reeks of chlorine water and hairspray. Hes got a dimple on his left cheek and the smallest molar next to his lip. His right-hand rests on his board and his new booty shorts chick has his left hand wrapped around her hourglass waist. Pathetic, patheticYou lookin' at Nikko again? Aaliyah scuffs. Hm? What? no. I snap out of my thoughts, digging my hands into the sand and staring at my wet sandals. I look back up, seeing Nikko come closer to where I was laying, he glances over, winks, and walks away. The fluttering feeling in my stomach is exchanged from his presence. Girllll'' Aaliyah groans, You know he jus a playa, don't you go around falling for him like those plastic Barbies he hangs around with. Aaliyah scowls, What you talkin' bout, I don't like that filthy gym rat who so happens to look deliciously hot after a swim, but yeah no I find him so agitating. I say as Aaliyah rolls her eyes at me. Zuri Aaliyah says my name firmly. I'm not blind, I see the way you look at him. Like a possessed dog looking at a treat. she continued Wait. So you agree that he's a treat, huh? I tease as I watch Aaliyah scrunch her face with annoyance. You know what I mean She says smacking my left thigh, I laugh in return. Seriously, Zuri. Hes nothing but a piece of shi- '' Aaliyah gets cut off, CANNONBALL'' Nikko and his friends shout. Aaliyah and I turned to face the direction they were running. Down a sand hill to the diving board, Nikko stands, his muscles tense, swiftly diving into the deep side of the beach, his friends dive in after. Nikkos friends are swim team jocks, theyre the most self-centered, idiotic guys you will ever meet. Yet fan girl-type chicks drool over them.

loud claps come from across the beach, girl's mice communicate with one another. The large crowd quieted down, but once Nikko slowly walked out of the water all eyes were on him, his white tank embracing his tanned body. He pulled his tank up, slowly awakening the secrets of his godly abs. Chicks began squeezing their tops, fixing their hair in hopes that hell notice their bikini tan line and sunscreen-scented bodies. Nikko dabs up his friends as they make it onto the sand. Nikko takes his hands to fix his already perfect hair, he walks up to some chick, whispering something that leaves her with a smile. He walks back to his friends, they seem to have been laughing, Nikko looks back towards my direction and I can't help but look at him. His eyes lowered, enhancing his hazel brown eyes which looked darker in that moment. I don't know whether we exchanged eye contact for a few seconds but the warmth in his glance felt like it had been a while. His friend said something to him and he went back to their conversation, occasionally glancing my way.

Aaliyah and I get up from our resting postures, picking up our beach towels and smacking our sandals to get the sand off. I sling my towel back, letting it land on my shoulder. Walking to the driveway, Aaliyah rushes to the car, I unlock it with my keys and she opens the door sitting in the passenger seat. I attempted to speed walk to catch up with her but my legs felt like soggy noodles and the sun wasn't helping. I hear light moans coming from the back of a tesla, only to see Nikko making out with a different chick, not surprised though, I groan. When I arrived at my car, I opened the driver's side and was immediately blessed with loud mumbles which Aaliyah called music. Liyah, turn that thang down, I groaned. Okay damn, what's got you in a shitty mood. Aaliyah turns the radio down. Nun, jus not in the mood to listen to that crap. I shut my door and start the car. Lemme guess, you saw Nikko making out with some girl, Aaliyah says, eying the same car that I saw Nikko behind. See what did I tell ya, hes no good She continued. I take a turn out of the beach parking lot, Aaliyah turns the radio back on to something tolerable and we sing at the top of our lungs back home. Aaliyah lives two blocks down from me, with her little brother, Jevon, and Mama Ti.

I stop at Aaliyahs house, her mom is sitting on the front porch braiding Jevons's hair. Heyy Mama Ti I wave from the car, and she waves back. I turn to face Aaliyah,We hanging out tomorrow? I say. You bet it she replies walking out of the car and shutting the door behind her. Javon, I say, poking my head out the window, I wave before driving away, he glances up, showing me his tablet then goes back.

The house was silent, all the lights were turned off which made the white walls seem darker that evening. I took my sandals off, then placed them beside the door. Laney came back home from work two hours ago and was now sleeping off her shift. I don't got no siblings like Aaliyah, Just mama Laney and her boyfriend, who occasionally stops by. But I don't mind it, after all, Javons like my little brother since I go over to Aaliyahs house a lot, it's like my second home. "There's cereal and some milk in the fridge Laney grumbles from the couch. Oh yeah thanks, but I'm not that hungry right now, i'm finna head to bed I respond. Aight, good night Gem Laney whispers tiredly before falling back asleep. Her hair is tucked into a silk black bonnet and a knitted blanket covers her body. night mama I whispered back though she had already fallen asleep.