42. End

Samantha and Harold arrived in the four wheel drive at a large chainlink fence that surrounded a small cluster of clapboard buildings. It was a couple of hours from Curtin Springs Station, though Samantha had no idea what direction they gone in, as she had fallen asleep very quickly after leaving Elaine. The woman in the passenger seat hadn't introduced herself, and Samantha hadn't asked, she had just gotten out and driven the Kingswood behind them. Samantha kay down across the bench seat in the back, and just let the road noise lull her to sleep. When they arrived at their destination, the sun was high in the sky, and the heat was unbelievable. Harold honked the horn, and a girl who looked about twelve years old emerged from the largest of the weather-worn buildings. She ran barefoot to the gate, unlocked a large padlock with a key she pulled from her pocket, and slid the gate open so they could drive through.

They bounced over a few potholes, the Kingswood rumbling behind them. The girl closed and locked the gate again, and Samantha climbed over the centre console to the front passenger seat.

"Uncle Harold, I really need you to tell me some more now."

She wrapped a hand around his forearm, and he looked at her with a slight moroseness.

"They'll tell you. You won't be harmed."

Samantha felt her heart thudding all the way t her fingertips, but there was no way to turn back now. The thing was done, even if she didn't know what it was yet.

They left the car. The woman driving the Kingswood climbed out, and walked over to them.

"You're through the gate now. Samantha Mathieson will never leave here. My name is Sweet. You can choose your own."

With that, she rattled the keys to the Kingswood, and turned to walk away towards one of the buildings.

Suddenly, Samantha understood. She looked at her uncle. He smiled weakly, and squeezed her hand.

"I'm not going to get out. Maybe you'll hear from me again someday, if I need to bring someone else here, and you choose to stay. Maybe not. Maybe you'll leave and wind up somewhere else. It's really up to you. But I have to go now, and you can't reach out to me. Not tomorrow, not in ten years, not ever. Understand?"

Samantha nodded. She wanted to hug him, but her limbs were made of lead and she couldn't do it. It was all she could do to ask, "How will they do this?" Her voice was a nervous whisper.

Harold looked towards the biggest building. He seemed unsure as to what he could say. The engine was cooling down, clicking quietly in the background.

"I don't really know. I know they'll use the car. I assume there will be blood. No matter what, when the police locate your Kingswood, they will reach the conclusion that while they don't have you, you are indeed dead. And they will stop looking. And the rest of us will mourn. But Elaine and I will always know you're still here. And maybe you'll see me again. But right now I have to go. The longer I'm here, the less likely it is that I can stop anyone ever making a connection between me, and this place - and now you."

"Ok," Samantha said. She had no idea what was coming next, but fear would not serve her in it. She leaned over and hugged Harold. Then she climbed out of the car, and watched him leave.

As the four wheel drive receded into the distance, Samantha heard footsteps come up from behind her. Another woman, one she hadn't seen before, came to stand next to her. She was short, with dirty blonde hair and a soft face. She had sunglasses perched on top of her head, and her hands in her back pockets.

"I know it wasn't easy to come here. It's never been easy for anyone."

Samantha sighed, and smiled as best as she could. Gympie had already started to fade inside her mind. The fear, the panic and dread, all the pressure that had been crushing her chest for the last several months was starting to lift. She felt nervous, but not afraid.

The woman next to her turned to face her.

"It's scary, I know. But it's going to be ok."

Samantha breathed in the hot desert air, and watched the heat shimmer on the horizon.

"I don't know why," she said simply, "but I believe you."