Chapter 37

AN: Thanks so much Creepypastalover001, Ame_Tasogare and Hannyhannyhannah for commenting on the previous chapter! So glad that you enjoyed it so much~

-

Chapter 37:

Varuna pulled a thick blanket over the prone form of his fragile brother, tucking him into bed before lying down next to him, resting his arm over his side in a form of comfort. Nitish had his eyes closed, but he was not sleeping. He was lying there, gripped so tightly in his hand was the badge bearing Achyuta's name.

He gripped that badge with white knuckles, holding it close to his chest in both hands. No one would be able to pry his fingers loose. Not that they would want to, or even think about trying.

"I'm sorry," Varuna whispered as he gently combed his fingers through Nitish's hair. "I don't know what to do for you."

They were in one of the bedrooms within the Grand Mark's Court. Nitish would be more comfortable in his own bed, in the familiar surroundings of his own home. But Isiah thought it would be best for Nitish, who had been through so much in such unfamiliar environments, that he'd be surrounded by the auras of those he knew and trusted. Although they could do nothing to heal his heartbreak or the damage done to his spirit, their presences should at least make him feel safe and protected.

And that was what Nitish needed more than anything.

This type of pain couldn't be healed with a cure spell. It would take time. It was a process, one without a deadline.

The trip throughout the four lands was agony. Everyone was so worried and frankly baffled by Nitish's heartbreaking distress. They also felt helpless. There was nothing they could do for him.

Isiah had explained to the others the best he could what had transpired within the Echoing Library, about Nitish's ability to read the ancient text, about how he was protected by the imperial knight Achyuta, how Logre came to his senses, how Varuna and Nitish were saved by the emperor himself ten years ago, and how Achyuta had sacrificed himself to ensure they encountered Prince Baldur.

It was a lot to take in. And honestly, Varuna himself was still trying to process it all. However, he hadn't had the time to actually muse about what he had learnt. He was focused entirely on his brother. His despair and pain was far more potent, far more important.

Suddenly, Nitish whimpered softly and curled tighter into himself as he trembled. "It's gone," he whispered as tears once again formed along his eyelashes. "Yggdrasil..."

Varuna felt a sense of dread wash over him and subconsciously held onto his brother tighter. Gone? What was gone? Why did Nitish mention Yggdrasil...?

A commotion outside pulled Varuna out of his thoughts. Before he could wonder what was going on (silently hoping that there was not another raid by those same imperial soldiers) he heard the sound of running just outside the room and the sound of Bryce's voice calling to him.

"Varuna!"

Startled, Varuna immediately sat up on the bed, but kept a comforting hand on Nitish as he turned to look over in the doorway. "What?"

Bryce was pale with a heart-stopping fearful expression on his face. And when he spoke, he stuttered. For the first time since Varuna had met him, his brown-haired landsknecht actually stuttered. "Y-you need to see this."

Swallowing thickly to push down his own fear, Varuna nodded his head and turned to Nitish for a moment. "I'll be right back, Nitish," he said before he slipped off the bed and made his way over to Bryce, whom immediately reached out and took his hand in his.