Chapter 3 - Lame-o

April leads me into a big sports arena where a number of young people are training and practicing different sports. They seem to be engaged in their activities and don't appear to notice us.

Some are running around the track circling the arena. What strikes me most is that they are covered in armour from head to toe, holding shinny shields and long pointy spears. Their suits of armour are different from individual to individual, ranging from ancient Greek garments from medieval knight attire and even bulletproof vests. Others are playing volleyball or basketball, yet I notice something different from the games I had seen so far: the players have a number of peculiar abilities, making the game more exciting, say flight, superspeed or bat metamorphosis.

In the middle of the arena, where April wanted to head, are some boys practicing fencing. A tall, dark-haired man, which I figure out that he must be the coach, watches them closely. One of the boys falls to the ground really hard after being hit by his opponent.

"Enough," the coach says. "Break time!"

The boy who hit the ground takes of his fencing mask, probably realising we are here. He reveals a pleasantly handsome face with chocolate-brown eyes looking at me with visible interest and curiosity. He gently strokes his dark ginger hair, soaked with sweat due to heat and effort.

"Hi, April!" He says. He has a pleasant and cheerful voice.

"Hello, Castro!" The girl replies smiling, perhaps trying to help him forget his defeat.

The boy stands up and gently removes dirt from his fencing suit. He says while stretching:

"It's so embarrassing... Wait a minute, you are the new guy here, right?"

He stretches his hand towards me. He smiles; his smile is big and friendly.

"Castro Montague!" He says while shaking my hand in a firm handshake. "Son of Romeo and Juliet."

"Logan," I reply. "Delighted."

"What brings you here?"

"Just showing him around," April replies.

"Who is the guy who's just beat the crap out of you?" I ask. "It's not really fair play."

Castro sighs a bit annoyed.

"My cousin," he says with a bored tone, "Tyler Capulet. He's destined to beat me until I become a man."

"I am really sorry... I didn't realise..."

"Now, now, Logan!" Castro gently pats my shoulder chuckling. "Just because Tyler is better than me at fencing doesn't mean he gets to outmatch me outside the fencing grounds!"

I begin to laugh along. I start to like the boy. He was pretty funny and his cheerful attitude was contagious. April seems amused as well.

"We've got a bit of spare time," he says, "but I don't want to return to the training session. I really hurt my ribs!"

He puts his hand in the right part of the inferior thorax. His eyes close tightly from a sudden wave of pain, then he spits:

"Damn! I don't think I can take part in the tournament anymore."

"I'm sure it will be alright!" April smiled. "If you sit this one out, why don't you join us? We need an expert."

"Why didn't you say so!" Castro seemed to have forgotten about the pain in his chest from five seconds ago. "Come with me!"

"Actually," April whispers, "I think you have to come with us."

* * *

As I am guided through the corridors of Novel High, I can't help but notice the other students looking at us with interest. Some are whispering with unknown intent. It makes me feel really nervous.

"I have a small dilemma," I say. "Had our arrival been announced?"

"Why do you think so?" April asks.

"Yes!" Castro interviens with a cheerful tone. "Since you are in the company of none other than the President of Nobel High's Student Council!"

"Really?! This is awesome!"

"Not quite," the girl replies, blushing slightly. "It's just something that's expected from someone with blue blood."

"Okay," Castro says. "Where are you taking us?"

"To the headmaster's office."

"Have I done something bad?!" I say startled.

"You have to be sorted somewhere, Logan," April replies. "You have to be assigned a dormitory first. This is happened to me as well when I first came here. Don't worry, Mr. Faraday is someone you don't need to be affraid of!"

"Honestly, this doesn't help me at all..."

Castro begins to laugh. We reach a pair of imposing wooden doors, each having big golden handles with sigils engraved on them. April knocks on the doers and they open silently; then, she turns towards us and gestures us to come inside.

* * *

April enters last and closes the door behind us. The headmaster's office is a big and dimly lit room and it smells of old books and wood. The fire was burning in a fireplace with playful golden flames, sending a warm and comfortable light inside. On a nightstand next to some big and imposing bookshelves made from a dark wood was a gramaphone playing and old record with some piano music. My mum had one of those too.

"Schubert." I say without a second thought. Somehow the piece was familiar.

"Ah, a fellow connoisseur, I see..."

From the desk across the room rises a man in a white shirt, a black velvet vest and a pair of black pants. His brown shoes seem freshly polished and his coat is hanging from his chair. He is holding a glass of whiskey in his left hand, which he leaves on the table with aristocratic delicacy.

"Good morning, Miss White!" He says. His voice, although husky, is pleasant.

"Good morning!" April replies smiling.

"Good morning!" Castro mumbles.

"Good morning," I add as well, fearing it might get a little repetitive.

"Ah, you must be Logan de Chagny!" The man says smiling. It's warm and welcoming, like you would greet a good friend of yours. "Son of Christine Daae and Raoul de Chagny. It's a pleasure to meet you. My name is Thomas Faraday, the headmaster of this school."

Castro's eyes immediately expanded.

"You never told me you are royalty!" He gasped a bit shocked.

"No, I am not," I reply.

"Whatever it may be," Mr. Faraday says, "I am more than certain that Novel High will help you find your way. Like Hannibal said: Aut inveniam viam aut faciam. I will either find a way or make one."

He stretches his hand towards me. His smile was gentle and benevolent and his golend eyes were looking at me with kindness, spreading light in the room around us.

"It's an honour to have you here among us, Logan de Chagny!" He says.

I shake his hand firmly and reply:

"Likewise."