Chapter 13

Ever since Financier had arrived in the kingdom from the Crème Republic overseas, it was seldom Madeleine ever left her side. They would always be seen chatting with one another and going on walks through the kingdom while discussing things such as the armies Madeleine once commanded during his time in the Republic.

And that left Espresso to watch from afar.

He wasn't exactly opposed to their friendship; it was just odd to not have Madeleine bugging him from dawn till sundown.

"It's like he moved from one target to another. If anything, I feel sorry for Financier," he said from where he was sat across from Latte in her coffee shop. She smiled at the coffee cookie, her white hair still looking slightly disheveled and the bags under her eyes prominent, though less. "At least he's stopped bugging you. I heard about how you two were stuck together at Dark Enchantress Cookie's palace. How suffocating was it?"

Espresso hummed. "I wasn't kept in the same cell as Madeleine for long," he admitted. "They saw a potential in my abilities that were nonexistent in Madeleine's. Coffee magic is often associated with darkness, after all." Latte slid her hand across the table and took Espresso's hand into hers. "Yeah... But I'm glad you're both alright. I really thought you were going to hurt him." Unease coursed through Espresso as he drew his hand away from the woman, averting his dark eyes from her as he pulled on the collar of his shirt.

"Yeah, about that..." He was interrupted by the café's bell giggling joyfully above the door, his gaze turning to see who had entered. Financier stood with her hand on the hilt of her sword, her immovable stoic look still glued on her features.
"Espresso Cookie. I wish to speak with you if you're available," she said with purpose and clarity. Espresso sighed. He shared a brief glance with Latte, who gave him a nod, and then proceeded to stand up, his cloak being straightened out.

The coffee mage followed the paladin out of the coffee shop and into the Kingdom, his hands held neatly behind his back. This was surely going to be about his two week disappearance. Financier didn't seem the type to appreciate those of a... Lower status. He frowned. What a shame he was raised in the slums of the Republic. Moorsditch, to be precise. A foul place that he once called home, and others called the Republic's shithole.

It was a shock Madeleine ever approached him, but suppose that idiot would wander up to anybody and try to befriend them.

Once the two were in an alleyway away from any cookies in the kingdom, Financier leaned back against a wall, Espresso doing the same on the opposing wall. "Madeleine mentioned some concerning behavior regarding you," she said with a stare that wasn't cruel, but it wasn't welcoming either.

"My behavior is my own, and if you do not like it, then I suggest you leave me to it," he growled in return, rather defensive for unknown reasons. Financier waved her hand dismissively. "I haven't a care for your behavior, Espresso. But attempting to kill a high ranked Republican commander raised my eyebrows. You realize such a thing would have you hanged back home, yes?"
"But I didn't kill him, did I? He's still wandering around with that dumb fucking shit eating grin on his face," he snapped, a dark aura beginning to emit from his body.

Financier's brows furrowed and she gripped the hilt of her sword a little tighter. "But you were going to if your abilities had been available."
"Jesus Christ! Fine! Yes, I was going to fucking kill him, but both of you only ask that question! You didn't ask the most important thing! If I would fucking regret it!" This seemed to catch Financier's attention, her hold on the blade loosening just a little as Espresso piqued her interest.

"Well... Would you have regretted it, Espresso Cookie?"

Espresso let out a breath of air and rubbed the bridge of his nose, his eyes falling shut. "As much as I hate to say it, yeah. I would have regretted it. Madeleine is annoying. But he's not a bad person. He's someone who can be relied on, even if I personally would never trust him. I would have been punished for a crime that I hadn't truly meant to commit."

Financier was silent. Her arms folded over her chest, a condescending look settling behind her amber eyes. "I would say that your words are convincing, but that would be a lie," Financier said coldly. What? She pushed herself away from the wall. Espresso pressed himself back, trying to keep distance between the paladin and himself.

"Madeleine has grown soft because of you. I'm trying to beat him back into shape while I'm here. So keep your distance from him in the meantime, and we'll be golden, alright?" she smiled, towering over the caffeine cookie. He could feel a heat in his hand as a flame sparked to life in it, but Financier was unbothered.

"Keep yourself under control or I'll have your hands dipped in hot tar. You're lucky I let Madeleine keep you alive; you aren't worth the space."

After that, she left the alley as if nothing was of issue, her blonde hair lightly blowing as a subtle breeze began to whistle through the kingdom.

Espresso's heart was pounding, and not in the good way.

What the hell is wrong with her?