𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟏 | 𝐔𝐍𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐓𝐄𝐃

"Maeve!" My mother called from downstairs

"Maeve!" My mother called from downstairs. "Come down here, right now!"

I felt my heart pounding anxiously in my chest as I walked down into the kitchen where her and my father were waiting.

"Get ready, your dad is gonna take you for a fight." She said, lighting her cigarette and then taking a hit.

My father sat next to her, nodding in agreement as he took a sip of alcohol from the bottle.

"Okay," I said quietly, turning around to go back upstairs.

I quickly got dressed once I was back in my room, because I knew better than to take longer than a few minutes to get ready.

After putting on a pair of short sweatpants, I put on a baggy, black hoodie over my cropped t-shirt, because it was a bit cold outside, and I was not about to freeze my ass off.

"I'm ready," I said to my father in an anxious tone as I walked downstairs again.

He took one last drink of his bottle of alcohol before getting up and walking over to me.

His hand landed on my shoulder in a harsh grip as he grinned.

"Don't lose this fight, or you won't like what'll happen."

My eyes were glued to the floor as I nodded.

"Good."

He let go of my shoulder and kissed my mother on the cheek and then we were out of the door.

We drove in silence until he stopped at what looked like an abandoned apartment building.

Once we were inside, I realized that it wasn't just an abandoned building.

It was an underground fighting ring that was made to look like an abandoned building, as to not raise any suspicion.

I become quiet as my father immediately leaves my side to go speak to a group of seemingly old men.

As I look around, I spot Jandel, one of the guys who, for some odd reason, thinks we're friends because he speaks to me every time he sees me.

He smiled and waved as he noticed me, gesturing for me to come closer to him.

I squinted at him, but walked over anyway.

"Yes, Jandel?"

"Who are you fighting today?"

"Cleo, I think."

"Oh, nice. Easy win."

I nodded, taking a seat in the empty chair next to him.

"So.. how's your day so far?"

"Fine."

He nodded and bit his lip as he turned his head to watch the ongoing fight in front of us.