Let's Camp!

"A family camping trip?" I asked again out loud. My parents had sat me down at the dinner table, after summoning me from my 'cave'. Summer had basically just started. Having had exams done roughly two weeks ago. Beginning to enjoy the nice free time, other than work that is. But this new found free time would be no more, once crammed into the small house on wheels.

"Yes, a camping trip! They have a new festival for a week at this campground. Hosting a bunch of different things." My mom, Seki, smiled away. Nearly vibrating with excitement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That led me to where I am now. Sitting in the motorhome driving along the endless highway. Staring at the miles of forest blossoming with life, with an occasional gas station. This used to be fun, we used to camp often enough when I was younger. Not so much with a motorhome though. Think more like a tent filled with bugs and sleeping basically on the ground. Yeah... Camping. Two or so years ago we got this new motorhome. Though really my parents would often take it out alone all summer and go to basic tourist spots. Since my older brother Jin and I were making it through college, I didn't think they would force us to go along with them. But here we are either way. My parents sat at the two seats in the front. My dad driving. Then Jin and I sat at the attempt of a drive safe seat at the dining table.

"Are we there yet?" Jin asked from beside me. I could read his lips well enough over the music nearly blasting in my headphones. Personally, don't handle long car rides well. So blasting music and staring out at the trees was enough for me. For my older brother. Yes, that's right. Older. Insisted on pestering everyone.

"Almost there should be a sign coming up!" Mom had called out, turning back to face us as she held a huge smile. She was clearly enjoying having us all together like this. Before leaving I was not expecting to enjoy this. But a little time off work to touch some grass. Maybe meet new friends. I'd take that chance. Though. It would have been nice to know WHERE exactly we were going. "Oh there's the sign! You know where we are."

"Oh..no." I muttered out under my breath as the sign whisked by. The sign in question. Faded, leaning, paint peeling off, ugly and most importantly of all. Memorable. Beaver bridges. The same camp we used to go to every time we 'camped' when I was young. Nothing but open grass fields, trees, wheat fields, golf and nothing to do. My little ray of excitement I had bubbling up. Had lost the flame to come to a boil. The festival they were hosting down there, was probably more aimed toward old folk than anything. Fantastic. Well at least my parents are happy, I shrugged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We're here!!" My dad shouted us awake.

Fighting off sleep, for the rest of the drive we had made it. I recognized the same red bumpy ass dirt road to get to the campsites. At first I kind of sighed and closed my eyes upon slight inspection. But. Things were certainly different here. We weren't even inside the camp ground yet. But they had a huge new building in one of the open fields. The rows of motorhomes were huge! Almost every spot looked filled. There were kids running about and laughing. No longer a dead quiet breeze. My excitement grew as our tires popped with rocks as we slowly crept into the campground. Finally making it to the end of the long road I realized the name of the camp had changed.

"Camp Crusher?" I read outloud in confusion. How did this camp go from beavers to Crushing things? I'd have to see for myself.

"It's the CC for short. Believe it or not this used to be-"

"Camp Beaver Bridges." Jin and I interrupted dad at the same time.

"Quite a change huh? Help look for the number 502. That's where we'll be stayin kids." Dad replied, stopping the motorhome with a squeak he hopped out. My dad, Making his way toward a new fancy building. The one which held the sign for the camp. A few piles of firewood at the front of the building. Wrapped in that awful orange bag, in a sad attempt to hold it all together. This must have been the entry access. A kind looking guy holding a huge smile came out of said building to meet my dad. Tan lines, bright blue reflective sunglasses and a baseball cap that read 'Camp Crusher'. This happy go lucky lookin guy was probably one of the employees. The two chatted for a moment sharing a few dad-like chuckles. While Jin and I sat staring out the window like a pair of anxious dogs.