Chapter One

EDITED 9th August 2016

"Come on...come on...," she mumbled, pressing her cellphone to her ear while biting her pale lips and fearing the worst. 

 No one was answering her call from the other end which caused her heart to beat louder and louder in despair every passing second. While still on the phone, she refreshed her Google Mail page once more but ended up looking dreadfully at her laptop screen again.

What is wrong?? Am I just....dumped???

And then, it happened.

Just at that precise moment, she heard a voice from the other end which made her heart leap in nervousness.

"Good evening...this is Diana Martinez...I provide my freelancing services to this firm..." she rushed through her introduction over the phone. "I had sent my article to your email address some time back but I haven't received any reply....Usually I receive the notification of approval within fifteen minutes of mailing it but this time around, twenty-three minutes have passed but there's no reply from your end...I know I didn't receive an approval because my write-up wasn't up to the mark. I-I didn't like it either, trust me. I know it wasn't what was being expected but-but please don't fire me...please don't hire someone else. I assure you I'll write a better article on the subject and mail it to you by tonight...!!!"

Silence.

Diana couldn't breathe even though she was breathless after babbling all that in one breath. She was drowning in a pool of anxiety waiting for an answer.

"We definitely loved your article like always, Ms. Diana," the male voice from the other end spoke in amusement. "We'll reply to your mail once our servers stop acting funny."

Diana's mouth hung open, her eyes almost popping out of her blank face as she gulped what she heard. That's it? She's...not getting dumped?

"Ohh..." she mumbled, feeling silly and immediately disconnected the call. 

Diana Martinez sighed, rose to her feet from her bed and walked over to the full length mirror in the room. A brown hazel eyed girl with a tired face wearing an old fashioned grey pleated skirt and checked blouse with her auburn hair pulled back into a messy pony stared back at her.

 Diana  looked gloomily at her reflection in the mirror. Why does she always have to end up embarrassed in front of people...even on the fucking phone?

The only thing that assured her was that she wasn't losing the freelancing job. She couldn't afford to. She needed those extra credit points in college. The firm was a reputed one. They paid her quite well, actually more than she thought they would.

Right then her phone beeped. It was a message from her friend and roommate, Ruth asking her to come over to this fancy restaurant near their college for which she had two dinner coupons.

Diana combed her straight her into a neat pony, fetched her purse from the closet that she shared with Ruth and stepped out of the house. It was sundown and the cool breeze felt soothing against her skin. In no time she reached the restaurant but Ruth wasn't there yet. So Diana sat at a table and waited for her.

Diana Martinez hardly had any friends. It wouldn't be wrong to say that she had zero social life. Ever since high school, she found it extremely difficult to talk to people and to mingle with them without being awkward. Until middle school, she cared a damn about friendship and friends 'cause she didn't mind being alone. But as she moved on to higher grades, finding herself lonely and not having a friend circle like everyone else caused her to feel insecure.