Chapter 2

As I entered my apartment, the smell of garlic and oregano filled my senses. Somewhere inside the kitchen was Luke cooking our dinner. Wondering around the living room, there were rose petals all over the floor and on the table was a huge bouquet of carnations. I picked up the small envelope placed between the flowers and read what’s written on it.

Sydney,

Before you come looking for me

I want you to change into the dress I bought for you.

Here are some carnations also for you.

Alex and Adam will be escorting you

To the rooftop deck, where I’ll be waiting for you.

I love you.

Luke.

Grinning like an idiot, I dropped my purse on top of the table beside the bouquet and ran towards our room. There I found a beautiful, red silk dress and much to my surprise, there was a Cartier box also waiting for me. When I opened the box, sparkling diamonds greeted me.

Aside from the necklace Luke gave me when we were in Spain, this was by far the most stunning piece of jewelry I’ve ever seen. Its white gold chain was encrusted with varieties of small, medium and large diamonds forming elegant flower designs.

In the middle of the necklace attached on the velvet lining inside, another letter awaits me.

Sydney,

Sorry I know you hate people giving you things

But I’m your husband and I want to spoil you.

I love you.

Don’t complain.

Luke.

The ‘don’t complain’ part made me giggle. Luke clearly knows me well being my friend for so long. So I took off my office clothes and headed to the en suite bathroom to take a short shower before I go look for my husband. Once I was done, I put on the dress that Luke wanted me to wear with the gorgeous necklace. I look at myself in the mirror and my porcelain skin glowed while it contrasted the elegant color of my dress.

Not wanting to make my husband wait any further, I walk back to the living room where Adam and Alex were waiting for me. They were wearing their elegant suits as if they were going to a ball of some sort. They had huge smiles plastered on their faces as Alex offered his arm out for me to take. I slowly walked towards them and took Alex’s arm and looked at curiously.

“What’s he up to now?”

“It’s a surprise ma’am.” Adam was actually beaming. The usually serious older brother Adam was smiling down at me as both he and his brother escorted me towards the elevator as we head up to the rooftop.

“You look beautiful Mrs. Graham.” Hearing the name that Alex called me gave me chills. It was still so surreal being married to Luke. I never imagined myself married to my Tristan’s best friend. Before, I felt guilty. But now, I know Tristan was looking down at us, happy for the both of us as we found love in each other. 

As we stepped out of the elevator, Alex led me out to a darkened hallway that was only lit by two columns of small candles leading towards the open deck. There was a violin playing and it got louder and louder as I got closer to the door. I felt my heart beating faster. I don’t know why I was feeling that way but I was excited and anxious at the same time.

Adam further opened the door to the rooftop and I was greeted by a red carpet covered in rose petals. There were also two columns of candles on the floor on both sides of the carpet leading to the center of the rooftop where I can see from a far there was a table with a yet another bouquet of carnations in the middle.