Chapter 17*

"I'm Daddy's firstborn." The statement rang through Laura's head. It was as if she hadn't heard it before; like it should never even exist in reality.

"What!" She finally managed to gasp out after a while, her look immediately to Frederick. "Please tell me you didn't sire this demon," she said.

"Watch it, honey!" Daniel retorted from her side, surprisingly looking very offended. "Judging from the looks of things, you aren't that less of a disgrace to this family yourself."

Laura flared up in rage. "Who are you to call me anything?!" she challenged, pushing him roughly backwards. "You're nothing but an overbearing rogue!"

Daniel looked like he would retaliate but one look from Frederick rooted him to the spot. Laura was under his protection and any misstep wasn't going to be accepted lightly. He put some space between himself and the still obviously fuming newblood.

"What do you want, Daniel?" Frederick asked, his tone surprisingly impassive for all he had witnessed.

"I heard you were hunting for Anton so I came to join in," he replied.

"Why?" It was Damian who asked this time around.

"He took a property of mine and I want it back." Daniel shrugged like it was nothing even though his demeanour- and the fact that he had dared to come to the Undead Mansion- suggested it was anything but.

"What property?" Damian pressed again but Daniel only smirked in response.

Thing is, Daniel knew exactly what Damian was playing at. He didn't trust a belief the "property" explanation one bit and he wanted to confirm it for the others to see.

But Daniel was no stranger to the game either. "Damian," he crossed his arms, "one of the reasons why we undeads have excelled over the years is our ability to let secrets remain secrets. So, why don't you be a good undead and leave it at "my property" and move on."

Damian didn't take being talked down, especially by Daniel, lightly. His fangs and claws already extended, he turned to Frederick and said, "Give the order and let me dispose of this trash."

"No," Frederick returned to everyone's utmost surprise. "Daniel's trouble but we may need his ability on the hunt. After Anton, we'll deal with him."

"Frederick!"

"I've given my order, Damian." His glare was fierce now. "Stand down."

And Damian did. "Get Daniel's old room ready," he ordered the other undeads who immediately sprang into action, "he'll be residing there for the duration of his stay."

Damian shot Daniel a murderous glare and the latter with a self-satisfied smug but they both exited the foyer, Frederick exiting right after; and that was how the encounter ended.

Twenty minutes after everyone had left and Laura still couldn't wrap her head around what had just happened. Daniel was a rogue and it was Frederick's job to hunt and deal with him. But he had just let him live, giving him accommodation and accepting his offer of join in the hunt without even pretending to contemplate it first. Now, why would Frederick do that? She asked herself.

The answer didn't come no matter how Laura tried to find it. But she knew it was there, and she was ready to find it no matter what it took.

***

Laura tossed and turned for about an hour before she finally decided to get out of bed; she couldn't sleep.

Thing is, she had already been informed that sometimes newbloods suffered insomnia because their body was still getting used to its transformation from mortal to undead. "Nothing to worry about, Laura," they had said. "It's just part of the transition."