Chapter VI

"Baby, I'm fine. Go," Victoria insisted, unable to hide the frustration in her voice.

Dylan hesitated, his concern evident in his eyes. "I don't feel comfortable leaving you alone after a night like this."

A hint of annoyance flickered across Victoria's face as she rolled her eyes.

Seriously? she thought. I want to be alone, can't you see?

Was it sweet? Yes. Was it extremely exasperating? Also yes. She knew he meant well, of course, but still. She was an adult, she didn't need him to stay with her just because she had some nightmares.

Victoria sighed. He's just trying to help, she reminded herself. He's worried, that's it. Be nice.

"Baby, it's ok. I don't even remember what happened. Go," she repeated, her tone much softer this time. "Have fun with your friends. You've been planning this day for ages."

Dylan stepped closer, his hands finding their way to her hips. "You'll call me if anything happens?" he asked, pulling her gently against him.

"I promise," she reassured him, planting a quick kiss on his lips. "Now go! I still have three clients waiting for their paintings. I need to get started on them."

Dylan chuckled. "Alright, alright. Don't forget to take your pills today, ok? And please, take the others if anything hurts. You don't have to power through the pain, baby."

She nodded, casting her eyes to the ground. In some ways, this situation was harder on Dylan than on Victoria. At least, in her opinion.

He remembered how she used to be. He loved the old Victoria and probably prayed that she would wake up someday with her memories. But this Victoria was gone and never coming back. She had died seven years ago in a horrible way, leaving her memories of who she used to be behind.

Victoria was grateful for Dylan's support and love but also felt this immense guilt. She knew he loved her, didn't doubt it for one second, but he had to take care of her every single day, no matter the time. He deserved to be with someone who was his equal. Not someone he had to make sure didn't lose their mind.

Well, maybe she already lost it and he didn't want to tell her. That was a possibility.

Whenever Victoria tried to talk to him about this kind of stuff, he immediately shut down the conversation. He claimed he loved her and would never leave her. That she was the one, had always been. But on mornings like today, when she woke up with a headache and saw the heaviness etched onto his face, she wanted to run away and never look back.

He deserved so much more than what she could give him.

She didn't know what happened when she forgot to take her pills. The ones during the day were easier to remember, but at night, right before going to sleep... The voice stopped her. Lured her to sleep and convinced her to lie down in her bed before she could grasp the bottle. In the morning, she could say something had happened, but Dylan never told her what. He would simply kiss her forehead and sigh, whispering that he loved her so much.

"I will," she finally said. "I swear."

"Good."

Releasing her after one last kiss, he grabbed his bag from the floor and shouted "Love you!" before disappearing out of the apartment.

Victoria's shoulders relaxed. Lila was with Reid and Dylan was out with his friends for the day. Finally, she could have some much-needed alone time.

She made her way to the bedroom, stripping along the way. She might not remember what happened last night, but a strange yet known sensation lingered within her. On days like this,
she yearned for more. More than what Dylan could give her. She yearned for them. The phantom hands.