Chapter 43

Over dinner that night I looked anywhere but directly at Noah, sure that the fact that we'd kissed (a lot) was written all over my face. I kept myself very interested in the conversation that Ruth was having with the Professor – there was some alarm regarding Adah, who hadn't shown up at her next checkpoint.

            "She was meant to be at the house by now," said Ruth, sounding strained.

            "You've met her, haven't you?" asked the Professor.

            "No, actually. We've just missed each other a couple of times."

            "That may have been for the best," said the Professor, with a quick glance at Martha, who was still bustling about the kitchen, pulling out a second lasagna and setting it on the stovetop to cool. "She is something of a free spirit."

            I made a sound that was half cough, half giggle, and Ruth looked at me.

            "Kind of, um," and then as soon as the Professor's attention was diverted by the salad being passed, I mouthed, "nutjob."

            Ruth suppressed a tiny smile. "A true believer, then."

            "They all are," said the Professor. "But Adah's approach is somewhat more ethereal than most. I wouldn't worry just yet."

            Esau, on my left side, nudged me with his elbow. "Where'd you go all afternoon?" he asked.

            "Out," I said vaguely.

            "With what's-his-name?"

            "You know his name," I said, cross. "Yeah."

            Esau grimaced. "I wish you wouldn't leave me alone with all these old people. It's boring. Take me with you next time."

            I had absolutely no intention of doing so, but I said, "Yeah, sure."

            The rest of the dinner passed in a haze of steam, cheer, and tomato sauce. With the exception of Adah, everyone had made it safely to their next assignations, and the Bears and Tigers were reorganizing without undue violence, other than the explosions at the tower. David said they were just to make a point, but I wasn't convinced he was in the loop. From somewhere hidden, Ruth produced a bottle of wine, and my mother allowed Esau and myself half an inch in our cups by pointedly looking away when Ruth went to pour. Jezebel and Obadiah were laughing, David and Felix were getting along, I was with at least two members of my family who were safe and sound, and I carried the private memory of Noah's lips with me with every move I made. It had been a long time since I had felt so content.

            Of course, it couldn't last.

            After dinner, Noah huddled in the corner of the living room that he'd claimed as his own, trying to get a read on the Professor's house. It took him maybe half an hour, but eventually he cracked into a satellite feed, and the news wasn't great. "They haven't leveled it, at least," he said, which did not demonstrably cheer up the Professor. "But there's Protectors everywhere, and they've rigged up the property with ID monitors up the...well, there's a lot. Even once they lose interest, it'll take ages to find deactivate them all."

            "Salting the earth," grumbled David.

            "Have you thought about your next move?" asked Obadiah.

            Ruth chimed in hurriedly, "Not that you're not welcome here for as long as you need!"

            Martha cast her a baleful look. Everyone had hurried in once Noah yelled, "Ha, I got in!" but that moment of euphoria hadn't lasted long.