Gabriel Agreste (Miraculous)

Verdict: Broken

It makes sense for me to start with one of my favorite villains, Gabriel Agreste, aka Hawk Moth/Shadow Moth/Monarch. Some people often compare him to Mr. Freeze, and I can see why.

I am classifying Gabriel Agreste as Broken because of his reasons for wanting the Ladybug and Cat Miraculous. He wishes to bring his comatose wife, Emilie, out of her coma. Emilie entered into a comatose state some years after using the Peacock Miraculous to help her conceive their son, Adrien. She used the Peacock Miraculous while it was still damaged, and thus, it severely limited her time left to live.

What makes this worse is that it's directly confirmed in a recent episode that Emilie should be dead, not comatose. Gabriel knows that if he takes his wife out of her glass coffin, that she'll die. This is why in "Party Crasher," he's desperate to get the power to Emilie's coffin/incubator back on, because if he doesn't, Emilie will die.

Even worse is that after using too many Miraculous powers at the beginning of season 5, he drove himself insane, and later allowed himself to be Cataclysmed in order to escape from a trap Ladybug and Cat Noir lured him into. While it is implied that he doesn't care about his akumatized victims, he actually takes more care than most normal villains would. He always leaves them alive, and hasn't actually killed anyone yet, at least not on-screen. He is also very protective of his son, Adrien, as he's afraid to lose Adrien like he lost Emilie, not knowing that Adrien is secretly one of his archenemies. In other words, Gabriel is a broken man who lost his world, and can't accept that it's gone.