Part Two - The Lesson in Lycanthropy and Witchcraft

Nick had always loved the summertime and everything that had to deal with summer.

The warm weather meant he could fish for all hours of the day, ride motorcycles without much on, and walking around in shorts and flip flops had always suited him more than needing to wear jeans, beanies, and a thick jacket with boots.

Summer even meant summer vacation from school, but graduating highschool kind of made that a moot point, had he not gotten into university. He had already a life planned out for him, which made moving into adulthood a bit easier than most had it. He, like his dad, would join the SDA, and fight demons until a nice cushy retirement came. But he didn't have to worry about that quite yet, since he was accepted into a university in Richmond for cybersecurity. His dad moved their family for his job with the SDAEC, a move that was planned well enough in advance so Nick could apply and get accepted.

A few days after they arrived in Richmond, Nick had been unpacking a few of his boxes in his new room, carefully pulling out the fishing poles from their special tubes when his dad came in and grabbed him.

"Hey kid, come with me today," his dad had said, "there's a family of witches who work for the SDAEC, and they have a couple of boys your age."

His dad explained on the drive over that they had been invited by the Ruffio's, who were having a small summer solstice barbecue at their house on the outskirts of town, and Mr. Ruffilo had just met his dad on the first day of work with the SDAEC.

The drive took a while, and they went so far out, the forests were taking over. For a werewolf, the wild forests, open plains, nature called to him constantly, and it was something he craved.

〇〇〇

They met the Ruffilo family on their porch. Mr. and Mrs. Ruffilo shook Nick's hand, their daughter shyly waved from behind Mrs. Ruffilo as she was introduced

"The boys are around in the backyard goofing off," Mrs. Ruffilo said, gesturing to behind the house. "You can go find them if you'd like, honey."

Nick looked to his dad, who nodded.

"I can take him," the little sister said, speaking up, and Nick shrugged and followed her around the back of the house. "My brothers are also Nick, and Noah. Noah is tall and skinny, and Nick has long black hair."

She led him into the backyard, passed the kid's play set and swing, passed the huge garden in full bloom, and to the edge of the forest. They were goofing off, throwing things into the air and at each other, and deeper into the forest. They turned at the approach of the interlopers.

"Hey sis, who is this?" One asked, looking over Nick.

"This is dad's new partner's kid, also named Nick," she replied.

The one who spoke had the longer hair of the two, but not by much, and he was a little bit shorter than the other. Nick noticed they both already had tattoos on their arms, one sporting at least a quarter sleeve already.

"Hey Nick, I'm Noah," the taller one said, nodding his head. "And this is also Nick."

"Hey Nick, I'm also Nick, but you can call me Nicholas if it's easier," Nicholas said, and the boys all laughed. "You're a werewolf then?"

Nick nodded. "Well, a lycanthrope, but sometimes people don't know what that is. Werewolf is easier for everyone."

"Fuckin' cool," Nicholas said.

"And you are both witches?" Nick said looking between the two guys, their little sister still hanging around. Noah shook his head no.

"Only I am, and her too," Nicholas said, pointing at their sister.