Chapter 38

I don't know exactly where I'm going after I leave Rosé in my room. Somewhere to cool down. I don't like fighting with her, but some things needed to be talked about. 

For instance, the fact that Irene was pregnant. 

The way that Rosé got so defensive puts me on edge. Is she hiding other things from me? Why would she feel the need to? If she wants me to help her, why would she keep things from me? Does she not trust me? 

Clearly she trusts me, if she chose me to help her in the first place. That question is easily answered. However, I feel that the side of her that may be keeping things from me is a remnant of her personality when she was alive. 

"Stop talking, Y/n." Times like that I wish she wasn't numb so I could hit her. 

I end up sitting on the top step of the staircase, resting my chin in my palm. I look up at the chandelier, trying to stop thinking about Rosé. 

I hear a door shut and footsteps before Rosé comes and sits beside me on the step. 

"You're right, I'm wrong," she says. 

"That's not new," I say, looking away from her. 

She lets out a light laugh, leaning forward to rest her elbows on her knees. "I'm sorry, really," she says. "I should've told you about Irene and everything." 

"Yeah, you should've." 

"Look at me." 

I sigh, slowly turning my head to look at her. She reaches out and takes my hand. 

"We're a team," she says. "You're all I got now, and you're doing great. Just don't listen to anything I say ever because I'm a moron and we both know that." 

I crack a smile and Rosé laughs. 

"All right," I say. "If we're a team, I have some work to do." I release her hand and stand up. 

"Where are you going?" 

"To speak to a suspect."

The door to Mel's Diner swings shut behind me and I ask the hostess for a booth. She smiles, nodding and leading me to a booth in the corner of the restaurant, handing me a menu. 

Nai walks in a few minutes later, offering me a small smile as she sits down across from me. 

"So, you wanna talk more about the case?" she asks, shrugging off her jacket and folding her hands on the table. The waitress comes by with a menu for her. 

"Yes," I answered. "I just have a few more questions." 

She nods. "Shoot." 

I take a deep breath, leaning back and crossing my arms over my chest. "What were you doing the night Rosé died?" 

She raises an eyebrow. "You're asking for my alibi?" 

I lift a shoulder, giving her a slight nod. 

"Well," she says. "That Saturday. The twenty-first I guess, was when my sister came home from college for the summer. She was popular here before she graduated, so she threw a huge party at our house. I was there the whole night." 

"What college does your sister go to?" 

"MIT. She wants to be an engineer." 

"Was your mom at the party?" 

"Yeah. That party was the least stressful I had seen her in a long time." 

"When did she find out about Rosé?"