✿|³⁶

authors note; looong chapter! I just couldn't keep it shorter, sorry. Thanks for all the comments recently and thank you guys for 1k votes, that means so much. 🥺🖤

With a sigh, Gemma put the cup with hot tea on the nightstand next to Cassie's and Happy's bed and sat down, running her hand over the young woman's back. It had been hours since the brunette last said a word. After Nero gave her a call and quickly explained what had happened, Gemma would love to say that she was surprised. But the Queen of Samcro wasn't surprised a bit about Cassie's suicide attempt.

The older woman felt guilty for letting Cassie go alone in the middle of the night, she should've known better. Had she stopped her and forced Cassie to stay with her, she might not have attempted suicide. Or maybe she still would've, who knows. To say she was glad Cassie was okay was an understatement. The young woman was more important to Gemma than some might think. Besides herself and Lyla, she was the only really good Old Lady in the club and still knew what the word 'family' meant.

Cassie would never betray the club or her Ol' Man and was always there for her family. Gemma saw herself in Cassie, only that Happy's Old Lady wasn't quite as extreme as she was. Which was totally okay. Had anything really happened to Cassie, it would have been a huge loss for everyone, as was Happy's loss.

“Jax called”, she began cautiously, rubbing the tip of her nose, not sure how to say the next words without throwing Cassie into the next deep hole. “He said that after the meeting they would take Happy's body to the club and keep it there for a few hours until they bury him later that night. Jax said you can come over anytime you want to say goodbye.”

With Cassie turned around, her face turned towards the window, Gemma didn't see the silent tears that immediately started streaming down her cheeks again, but the Queen could imagine how hard that must have been for her to hear those words.

“Someone has to call his mom”, she eventually spoke up, her voice only a shaky whisper, from which Gemma could clearly hear how heartbroken she really was. “She needs to get a chance to say goodbye, too.”

Cassie closed her eyes, releasing even more tears. She almost choked on her next sob as her breath caught in her throat for a moment. This was all way too official. It proved that Happy really was gone and that was one thing she couldn't handle. She wasn't ready to say goodbye, she never would be.

Earlier when Lyla stopped by to check on her after Gemma called her, the blonde had explained to her grieving friend how hard it was for her when she got the news that Ope had been killed, and seeing his body traumatized her even more. However, she had also mentioned that she was glad she had the chance to say goodbye.

The brunette felt sorry for Lyla, and Cassie was sure her best friend had really suffered, but with Happy and her it was still something else. She had known him for over a decade and the two had been inseparable for almost nine years. With Happy's death she not only lost her partner but also her best friend and the father of her child.

“I can call her later if. And I'll ask Jax if he can keep his body a little longer in case Maria wants to see her son”, Gemma nodded slightly, her forehead wrinkled. “What about you, baby? You wanna say goodbye to him?”

“Can I be alone, please?” Cassie couldn't bring herself to a answer the matriarch's question. Hell, she didn't even know if she wanted to say goodbye. She'd probably have a breakdown in front of everyone once she would look down at her Old Man in a box. On the other hand, she would regret it for the rest of her short life if she wouldn't go there.

Sighing, Gemma got up and decided to give Cassie a moment to herself. She would still check on her every ten to fifteen minutes, who knew what was going on in Cassie's head. But Gemma doubted the young woman would do anything stupid as long as Callum was in the house, which she had to bring with her when Nero called earlier.