Chapter One

" Sir Gamble...." knock knock knock "Sir Gamble!"

Inside his study, Richard Gamble, Duke of North, is startled by his nanny's panicked knock on the door. The head maid, Tilde, had been his nanny and raised the duke since he was young as his mother had passed during his birth. Naturally, she had been the closest thing he had to a mother.

The previous duke, Richard's father, remarried much after his childhood and he never grew close to his step mother or step-sister. Both of which he hadn't heard from since his fathers passing. His step mother had taken her inheritance share and went away with Helen. Since then it had just been Richard residing in the dukedom. His elder brother had chosen to be a scholar and rarely visited.

Hence, only Tilde had the privilege of addressing Richardby name but since he inherited the dukedom she insisted on at least addressing him as sir."Yes Tilde, come in." he beckoned to her.

Tilde throws open the door with a look of nervousness. "Sir! ... You have a son!" shuffling further into the room, "Surely it must be an imposter, the ole mangy thing."She finished, a bit disgruntled.

"Right this way sir, they've come to the main gates."

Richard raises a brow, " That's interesting, well I must go greet such a distinguished guest." With Tilde in tow the duke made his way through the foyer of the and down the hall to the entry of the central wing. " I must say Tilde this may be able and discussing this may get uncle Harrison to quiet down about producing an heir."

" Sir! You jest! That fool Harrison can mind his!"

Approaching the corridor, Richard spots his butler, Sterling, at the door with a much smaller frame edging behind him. " Sterling." Richards greets him,

Turning to face his master he replies, "Sir, this young fellow calls himself Louie and proclaims to be your... Offspring." Sterling glances down toward the child with a doubtful look.

Looking past his butler he sees the child. Deep brown skin with even darker hair peeking out of a cap. The child seemed to be in poor condition, the fellow's trousers were spotted with patches and topper that of rags.

Richard already knows the child is not his. Though a coveted bachelor, he had remained chaste throughout his adulthood. Only as a teen did he fraternize with court maidens, even then he remained celibate. The child appeared much too young to be an offspring of his fathers who passed more than 8 years ago. Still, Richard decided to invite the obvious prankster in. "Well then," he gestures to invite Louie in " this way child. There is much to disc-" The child looks up, causing Richard's words to be caught in his throat. He sees a much familiar face in the child.

"Indeed, it's me, Louie." The child trembles with a pitiful look. Richard grimaces but continues. Tilde looks closely at the child and begins to feel a sense of familiarity about the lad.

In his office, sits in front of him is Louie. " So, you're called Louie?"

"Yes, father ." Louie replies, causing Tilde gasps in disbelief at the child's boldness in speaking to the grand duke. Sterling sets his hand on her shoulder to simmer her brewing anger. He gestures her away further to her to the side of the room as he sits down to face the child.

"Don't call me that."

"Alright father," the child replies affectionately. This leaves the duke a bit amused.

"Sire, send this rascal away!" Tilde pleads to him, she could sense no genuineness form the child

"Tilde- you may be excused... You as well Sterling." The two make their way out only to be heard grumbling "