chapter two

Heavy were the snores escaping Madison as I sat up in my bed at three o'clock this morning

Heavy were the snores escaping Madison as I sat up in my bed at three o'clock this morning. All that could be heard were the crickets and her snores. I have always had trouble sleeping in places that I'm not comfortable with, so this was no exception. To add onto that, I had to pee, which meant I'd have to take a hike to the communal bathrooms four cabins down. I pull a sweatshirt over my body and slide on my sandals, trying to slowly open and close the screeching door as I exit.

The wind at night was a lot colder and I felt chills go down my spine as the breeze hits my legs. As I'm nearing Cabin Eleven and I hear the faint sounds of someone strumming a guitar. Once I am close enough to see the cabin in its entirety, I see Harry sitting on the front steps, strumming an acoustic guitar. So, it genuinely was his hobby.

"What are you doing up this late?" I ask. He doesn't have his dark sunglasses on. His eyes are more than I thought.

I stood far from him, but close enough to see his eyes look into mine. "I could ask you the same." He lets out a small chuckle. "The acoustics sound better out here." He states, moving the guitar from his lap.

My head nods, arms crossed over my chest. "Well, I couldn't sleep and was looking for the bathroom," I state. My body shook slightly as I shivered in the cold air.

Harry bends forward and turns, pointing down at the row of cabins next to his. "Second cabin. Some idiots switched the 'women' and 'men' signs around so just remember the women's side is on the right." He explains.

"Okay...thanks for the heads up," I say, turning and readying to walk away.

"I'll see you tomorrow, mentee." He jokes, a smile curving on his face.

All I do is nod and continue my walk to the restroom. Just talking to him for a few minutes had my palms sweaty. It was evident to me from his abundance of tattoos and slight five-o'clock shadow on his jawline that he was older than me. Something about that intimidated me. He was undeniably attractive, but he seems to have more baggage than that. Either way, I have no intention of finding out what that is. I have enough on my plate.

I finish in the restroom and make my way back to Cabin Thirteen. This time, as I pass Cabin Eleven, all of the lights are off and Harry is nowhere to be seen; just his guitar sitting propped against the staircase railing. It was scary out in the forests that sheltered the camp from the rest of world at night. This environment made me think more and more about Friday the 13th.

Once I reach our cabin, I fall back asleep on the uncomfortable mattress, still thinking about the impending situation I am in being stuck at this camp all summer.

The morning bells chime, signaling for the camp residents to wake up and fight to make it to breakfast. My hair is a mess but I tie my bandana up to push it out of my face. I slip on a pair of jean cut-offs and a green shirt that says 'staff' on the back in capital letters. Madison ties her hair up into a ponytail and slips on her red Converses. Today is the day that we will meet the group of kids that we are in charge of for the rest of the summer. No pressure.