Best laid plans...

Just a few more days. Miyano glanced out his window. The night was dark without the moon having risen yet. He leaned against the cooler pane. What was Sasaki doing now? He wondered. It wasn't like he had just left the wizard less than an hour ago. He had texted as soon as he was dressed from his shower, but so far no response. Miyano yawned.

Tomorrow was Thursday. His eyes drooped closed. He tried to force them open. He felt himself slump back toward his bed. He was asleep before the notification dinged on his phone. His battery was dead when he awoke in the morning. With a sigh he plugged it in. Sluggishly he went about getting ready for his day.

The next day was the solstice. Due to the importance of it, all classes were canceled for that day. Which was great, but there was one other rule for the solstice: no unclaimed familiar could be in the company of an unclaimed wizard. Miyano wasn't sure why this was. He always thought that in order to be claimed, it had to happen at midnight under the moon. Maybe it didn't? Maybe the schools just made that up in order for teachers to be present when the claiming occurred.

He had heard stories about other familiar and wizards claiming each other. Some were tame, hugging as their marks appeared, or other forms of jubilant celebration. Then there were the more intense ones. He had heard about a near all out orgy happening at one school were all sorts of pairings simply gave into their instinct.

Then there was him. If, or maybe when, he was claimed, Miyano had one fear. He sighed as he buttoned up his shirt. Gentle fire sparks struck off his finger tips. He extended his hand as he drew in deep breaths. This was his fear. He had heard that once claimed, for a brief period, both wizard and familiar could lose control of themselves. If he ever lost control...

He balled his hand into a tight fist, the knot in his stomaching began to ache. He turned to his phone. Seeing that it was charged enough to turn on, Miyano picked it up. A panic began to set in. Sasaki had asked him to meet him at the Café for breakfast. Miyano was already late. Quickly sending a text explaining what had happened, Miyano grabbed his school bag to dash out of his room.

He ran all the way to the Café. It was only as he slowed to check each head for the ginger, that he realized he never unplugged his phone! He had set it back down to pick up his bag and jacket. He sighed adjusting the bag on his shoulder. Just then a group of teens parted. He saw Sasaki typing on his phone. He was leaning against a table with tall stools. Miyano hurried up to it.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I left my phone charging!" He cried. Then he saw that the table wasn't just Sasaki.

Across from the fire wizard was a small dainty female with flame orange hair. She was perched on her chair. She smiled when she saw Miyano. Her tongue flicked out of her mouth. It was split like a snake. Miyano gasped. He knew exactly what she was, a fire lizard. It was another type of familiar, one far more suited for a fire wizard than a cat.

"Miyano!" Sasaki called out. His smile didn't do much to loosen the knot in Miyano's stomach.

"I'm sorry, not feeling well." Miyano cried. He ran back into the throng of students.

Through the tears in his eyes, he couldn't see just where he was going. Instead he batted away arms, shoved at things that got in his way, until he reached the quite peaceful cemetery. Miyano ran through the stone field. He rushed to get out of the open. Knowing he had a friend who could scout from the skies, made Miyano move faster.

He ducked into an open crypt. The heavy stone was nothing for him to move. All he needed to do was use his earth ability. Miyano closed the opening, shutting himself into near darkness. There was some light that came from slits near the top of the crypt. Walking to the far corner, Miyano sank down. He sat on his bag as he pulled his knees up to his chest.