Chapter 1: The Illusion of Love

Evangeline stood at the threshold of the Avelorne ballroom, her heart pounding with anticipation. Tonight marked the beginning of her courtship with Lord Sebastian, the man who would soon become her husband. She had returned to a time before their ill-fated engagement, armed with knowledge and determination to uncover the truth behind his dark intentions.

As she entered the opulent room, Evangeline's eyes met Lord Sebastian's piercing gaze across the crowd. He was a handsome figure with dark, tousled hair and a commanding presence. Her stomach fluttered with a mix of nerves and curiosity as he made his way towards her.

"Princess Evangeline, I must say, you look positively radiant this evening," Sebastian remarked, his voice smooth and seductive.

"Thank you, Lord Sebastian," she replied, her voice steady as she fought to hide her true intentions. "The ballroom is exquisite. Your family has truly outdone themselves."

As the night progressed, Evangeline and Sebastian engaged in playful banter and danced with practised grace. Their conversations were laced with charm and flirtation, but beneath her façade, Evangeline remained vigilant, seeking any signs of the darkness that had shrouded Sebastian's past

As they strolled through the moonlit gardens, Sebastian's hand brushed against Evangeline's, sending a jolt of electricity through her body. He turned to face her, his eyes filled with a mix of desire and admiration.

"Evangeline," he whispered, his voice husky. "From the moment I laid eyes on you, I knew there was something special about you. I find myself captivated by your beauty and your spirit."

Evangeline forced a smile, her mind racing with conflicting emotions. She had vowed to avenge her own death, but Sebastian's charm had momentarily dulled her resolve. She yearned for the touch of love and the possibility of a genuine connection.

Before she could respond, Sebastian leaned in, capturing her lips in a tender yet passionate kiss. The world around them faded into insignificance as they lost themselves in the intoxicating embrace.

As they pulled apart, Evangeline's mind raced. She had felt a spark, a flicker of something real. But she couldn't let herself be swayed by a moment of passion. Her mission remained clear—to uncover the truth and expose Sebastian's malevolent nature.

Days turned into weeks, and their courtship continued to flourish. Sebastian showered Evangeline with gifts, whispered sweet words, and introduced her to the influential figures of their realm. The spectre of danger loomed over her, but she played her part, concealing her true intentions behind a mask of enchantment.

One afternoon, as they strolled along the castle ramparts, a gentle breeze tousled Evangeline's hair, bringing a sense of clarity. She turned to Sebastian, her eyes filled with a mix of vulnerability and determination.

"Sebastian, I find myself falling for you," she confessed, her voice filled with a delicate tremor. "But I must admit, there are moments when doubts cloud my mind. Please reassure me that our love is built on honesty and trust."

Sebastian's smile widened, his eyes gleaming with calculated charm. "My dearest Evangeline, I assure you, my intentions are pure. My love for you knows no bounds. I promise to protect you and cherish you for all eternity."

As they sealed their pledge with another passionate kiss, Evangeline couldn't help but wonder if her search for the truth had clouded her judgment. Sebastian's words felt genuine. His touch ignited a fire within her. Yet, she couldn't forget the stories of his past, the betrayed that he showed while killing her. Little did he know that deep in her heart , revenge was starting to form...