Four10

Billie

I slumped down on my bed, feeling the sting of rejection pulsating through my veins. It's been 2 days since camp and the events of that night replayed in my mind, each moment etched with disappointment and confusion. Vanessa, the girl I had been crushing on this girl ever since the first study session we did right on this very bed, had just rejected me. It felt like a punch to the gut.

My two best friends, Zoe and Drew, sat on either side of me, concern etched across their faces as I sulk over a girl who I thought was the most annoying person when I first met her.

"I can't believe she rejected me," I muttered, my voice barely above a whisper. "I thought she liked me too. We had this connection, you know?"

Zoe placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Billie, it's not your fault. Sometimes things don't work out the way we want them to. Vanessa might have her own reasons for saying no."

I clenched my fists, frustration building up inside me. "But why couldn't she just be honest with me? We were friends, I mean I know we had our fair stair of problems and our fair share of random make outs but I thought she was a decent enough person to communicate with me instead of string me along"

Drew chimed in, his voice soothing. "Sometimes people have their own struggles, Billie. Maybe Vanessa isn't ready to come out yet. It's possible she's still figuring things out for herself. It's not about you; it's about her journey."

My older brother, Finneas, leaned against the doorframe, his presence a comforting reassurance. He had always been there for me, supporting me through thick and thin. "You know, Billie, rejection is a tough pill to swallow, but it's a part of life. It doesn't define who you are or your worth. You have so much to offer, and the right person will come along at the right time."

I let out a sigh, feeling the weight of their words seep into my heart. They were right. Vanessa's rejection wasn't a reflection of my value as a person, but rather a reflection of her own struggles and uncertainties. I couldn't control how she felt, but I could control how I reacted to it.

"You guys are the best," I said, tears welling up in my eyes. "Thank you for being here for me and helping me see things from a different perspective. I guess I just need some time to process everything."

Finneas pulled me into a warm embrace, his arms enveloping me like a shield. "Take all the time you need, sis. We're here for you, no matter what. Remember, your happiness comes first, and there are plenty of people out there who will appreciate you for who you are."

As I laid there in the safety of my room, surrounded by the love and support of my friends and family, a sense of peace washed over me. Rejection stung, but it wouldn't define me.

"I'm just letting you guys know now that I'm not going to be all nice to her now" I laugh.

"Yeh yeh yeh whatever you say lover girl" Finneas chuckles.

Vanessa

As I lounged on the couch, my eyes fixated on the blaring television screen, absorbing every moment of the intense American football game. This had become a weekly ritual between Jason and me. Ever since I started playing we would sit and binge watch games to learn the technique and heart of the game. Or whatever he says.

"Hey, Vanessa, did you see that touchdown?" Jason exclaimed, his eyes lit up with excitement. He gestured at the screen, but I was already one step ahead, analyzing the play in my mind.

"Yeah, it was a great move by the wide receiver," I replied, trying to match his enthusiasm. I loved football, not only because of its strategy and adrenaline but also because it provided a temporary escape from my own thoughts.