Just a Wedding...

If you told Nancy Drew that at 22 years old she'd be getting married, she probably wouldn't believe you. At 18 she would've uncomfortably chuckled at the thought of having a little chapel wedding, getting a house in the suburbs with a white picket fence and living a quiet, stereotypical life. That's just the thing though, 18 year old Nancy Drew never would've expected she'd be getting married to Frank Hardy of all people, and thus the previously mentioned aspects of a 'traditional' wedding and life would be thrown out the window.

   When she started dating Frank, wonderfully awkward, just as swayed by mystery and thrills as she was Frank Hardy, Nancy started to not mind the idea of marriage and a wedding so much. In fact, she could still remember all the times over the last four years that she thought he was going to get down on one knee in some way-too-public place. 

   First, it was when he had to tie his shoe in the middle of Bayport mall, and then when Nancy didn't notice she'd dropped something and he bent down to pick it up. And of course, when they'd seen a movie together in the small River Heights cinema, he'd knelt right in the middle of the aisle. At that time, he'd given her a smile and a cheeky excuse about how his chair was squeaking and he wanted to see why.

   Every time he'd done that, especially the last time (for the excuse had been so pathetic Nancy was convinced he was going to do it, but chickened out) she felt her heart pounding loudly in her ears. There was just something about the thought of Frank wanting as badly to spend the rest of his life with her as she did that made Nancy need to fan her face after every one of those false alarms.

   Then, on the day after her 21st birthday, Frank had come to visit her in River Heights again. Nancy almost didn't pay attention to him when he got down on one knee in the middle of a park. She would never forget how she nearly walked away, or how he reached out and grabbed her hand to stop her. The rest of that day had been unforgettable too. The way she knew her eyes were blown wide, and the way he gazed up at her with a light blush dusted on his cheeks. Frank ran his thumb over the back of her hand, and fumbled around in his pocket for a while with the other.

   "Um, Nancy..." He had said, trying not to stutter on her name. Nancy couldn't hide the shock on her face when Frank finally pulled out the small black box.

   "We've um..." He cleared his throat, something lodged in it,

   "We've known each other for so long, and I want you to know I've enjoyed every minute of it, even before we were together. You've always made me feel okay to be me. And I've always loved watching you be you." Frank seemed to gain confidence the more he spoke, even if the blush on his face was growing darker.

   "Truth is, I love you. I've always loved you. Oh, well you know that." He finished that sentence muttering to himself, like he had gone off script or something. Nancy found herself smiling wide, waiting to see what else he would say. She squeezed his hand reassuringly, as if to let him know it didn't matter if he went off script, or whatever.

   "I know it's been difficult with the long distance... But I think what it's made me realize is that I can't wait for the day where I never have to leave your side." Frank popped open the box with one hand, his other never leaving Nancy's as he held the gorgeous ring up closer to her. He was smiling now too, his eyes glistening while he stared up at her.

   "Nancy Drew, I want that day to be as soon as possible. Will you... Would you marry me?" He asked, and Nancy tried not to let the tears that were forming spill over her waterline.

   "Oh, Frank..." She swooned, placing a hand over her mouth and shaking her head in disbelief. It was all horribly cliche, but Nancy was surprised how much she loved it. Frank had such a way with words, and he summed up just about all of her feelings in those words, too. There were so many things they'd have to consider after this, and Nancy's head hurt while racing through them, but if Frank was kneeling before her feeling this certain, well, she was sure she had to be too.