Chapter 3

As you and Zhongli approached the bustling harbor, a familiar ache began to weigh upon your chest. The excitement of the day had taken its toll, but it was a small price to pay for the adventure you had just experienced.

"So, how would you rate my performance as a first-time tour guide?" Zhongli playfully inquired, a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"The worst," you replied with a hint of sarcasm, sharing a knowing smile with him. Despite the light-hearted banter, the truth was far from his question. Zhongli had been an exceptional guide, offering deep insights into the city's history and enchanting tales of the sea.

"I must admit, I've thoroughly enjoyed your company as well, General," Zhongli responded, a warm appreciation evident in his voice.

However, before you could fully bask in the glow of the moment, your peaceful exchange was abruptly interrupted. Fatui members began to flock around you, their presence a stark reminder of the complex world you inhabited.

"General, the Doctor is looking for you," they informed you, their tone urgent.

A surge of surprise coursed through you. "He's already back?" you questioned, taken aback by the unexpected news. It had been a long and perilous journey, and the return of the Doctor held immense significance for your cause.

"Yes, General," the Fatui members confirmed, their expressions betraying a mix of awe and apprehension.

Turning your gaze towards Zhongli, you felt a pang of reluctance. He had become a cherished companion during your time together, and parting ways was not an easy prospect.

"I'll see you later," you said to Zhongli, your voice laced with a touch of sadness. He bowed his head respectfully, his gratitude evident in the gesture, as you turned to face the imminent task that awaited you.

***

Zhongli, uncertain of the meeting location, sought help from his friends in Liyue. The children of Liyue had spotted you with the other Fatui members at the Chasm entrance and believed you were heading to Sumeru that night. Zhongli hurriedly made his way to Mt. Tianheng, unable to bid you a proper goodbye.

As he was passing by the Bubu Pharmacy, Zhongli suddenly bumped into Childe. Startled, he apologized but explained that he was in a rush. Childe understood and mentioned that he would inform you about Zhongli's absence. However, Zhongli became confused and asked Childe where you were.

Childe responded, "She's at the bank, waiting for you. Didn't you ask her to go out with you on the last day of the Lantern Rite?"

"I thought... she had already left," Zhongli said, surprised by the change of plans.

"We're returning home to Snezhnaya early tomorrow morning."

Without hesitation, Zhongli turned back and ran to the bank. There, he found you engaged in a conversation with Fatui agents, your arms crossed as if you were lecturing them. When you noticed Zhongli's presence, you turned your attention to him and expressed your frustration, questioning why he had taken so long and made you wait.

Apologizing to Zhongli, the Fatui agent remarked, "I'm so sorry, Mr. Zhongli."

Zhongli reassured them, saying, "No worries," before following you outside. As you descended the stairs, you continued complaining about his delay, exclaiming that he made your blood boil.

"I thought you had already left," Zhongli responded.

"Such a lame excuse," you retorted.

Zhongli smiled and picked up the pace, attempting to make amends. "Okay, where would you like to go first?"