Chapter 1

I ran through the woods that surrounded Lupenshire. My breaths were coming out in heavy pants as I followed a bright bulb of white light. Twigs snapped under my feet, and branches scratched mercilessly at my hands and legs. I have to keep up, I thought, knowing exactly why I needed to do so.

I must have ran for at least several miles, and my sides were beginning to cramp from the exertion. The light stopped by a large hole under a shady willow tree.

I squinted my eyes. Why does it feel like I know this place? I pondered, I have never even been here before.

The bulb of white lights began to spin, and spin, becoming brighter and brighter - so bright that I was forced to shield my eyes.

The light began to transform, and the silhouette of a familiar woman began to take shape. As the light dimmed, I could see the woman's fiery red hair whip powerfully around her face and her dark emerald eyes gaze at me intently. Her white dress shone in the dim lighting and a small pendant of green swirls of different shades, not unlike the one I wore around my own neck, was held at her breast.

I bowed down before the goddess, and I held my baited breath, anxious to hear what she wanted of me this time.

"The time has come, Rowanna, for you to begin your destiny." A small shiver of excitement ran down my spine as she spoke, and curiously I raised my head. What destiny could she possibly mean?

Her lips quirked upward in a small, understanding smile as she caught the question in my eyes. Deftly, she moved her hands and sparks of golden green dust flew shot outward forming a swirling mist.

"I want you to come to this place. I will take you there myself simply to ensure that nothing goes wrong," she murmured just loud enough for me hear as she gestured to willow tree we stood beneath, and I mentally grumbled at the goddess' lack of faith in me; suddenly, a face appeared in the mist. Her emerald eyes darkened, and I cringed in fear at the sight of him - the coal-eyed king of Aueron. "Maleville," she spat, "has ruled Aueron long enough for my liking."

Although I was well-aware of how Maleville's reign had affected my life and how many innocent people were murdered by his demons, I was confused as to why I had to find a willow tree to end the tyrant's reign.

"What's so important about this place?"

"There is a man here," she whispered, "he will set things right - back to the days of King Aneirin's reign." I raised an eyebrow. King Aneirin had been king for less than a year before he had been killed by Maleville in battle. I had only been sixteen at the time, and it confused me as to why Seathue had waited three long years before she decided to restore the throne Aueron back to a man of her choosing.

I asked the next question, a stupid question and one I already knew the answer to, "Is he to be the next King of Aueron?"

Seathue did not answer. She closed her eyes for a minute before she responded. Please, I begged, Please let him be king. Maleville can't be king anymore. I cannot bear it if Maleville is to remain king.

Finally, Seathue sighed, "If fate unfolds itself as I want it to." Her expression grew serious. "But you must find him. He will not listen to me. Reason with him. Be his Prophetess."

I opened my to ask, "How would I find him?" and what does he look like?" But Seathue's figure began to diminish once more into a bright bulb of white light

"Seathue!" I called out. "Seathue wait!" No response. I was alone under the willow tree, with my goddess gone.

I sighed in frustration. How would I know if I found the right man? Why in Aueron's name did Seathue have to be so vague about the vital information?