Chapter 4

As Bidi returned to her home with two hundred cultists, she was immediately met by Lorna Dune. Lorna, who had proven herself worthy of the job, seemed like the matter was very pressing. "Yes, Lorna," Bidi said.

"It's urgent," Lorna replied.

"Then out with it!" Bidi commanded.

"Senator Redding would like to have an audience with you as soon as possible," Lorna said very quickly.

"Tell her I will come to her office tomorrow," Bidi said, "I have a few other matters to attend to here first," Bidi lazily suggested.

"I understand the hour isn't ideal," Lorna frantically said, "but it's a matter of national security. The senator and her cabinet even made the effort to come all the way here to seek you out immediately. She said no matter the time, you must go to her house at once."

"Is that so?" Bidi quizzed hesitantly, the senator had never collaborated with her in the past, she wondered what could've possibly changed.

"I'm afraid so," Lorna said very seriously. "Shall I get your coat?"

"Send for the valet," Bidi urged, "I'll get my own coat."

After not even having time to change or shower, Bidi was on her way to the senator's home, which she'd never been to before, but senators were paid very well, so she imagined it would be nice. Elizabeth lived in a small community near the political capital named Halifax. It was certainly a rich neighborhood, and that could be seen by the fact it was surrounded by a tall fence and the entrances had security guards. The houses were nice, but they weren't very large, especially in comparison to the queen's home.

Bidi arrived and got out before her valet could open the door. She rushed up the pathway created by fancy stones and knocked on the door. It certainly wasn't an ordinary time to have visitors, so the senator was hopeful it was the queen.

Elizabeth peeped through the little hole in the door and opened it in a hurry once she realized who it was. "My queen," she said almost with fear in her voice, "thank the heavens you're back. I've been trying to reach you for days!"

"My secretary told me it's urgent. What's wrong?" Bidi quizzed.

"Have you not been reading the news?" Elizabeth asked.

"I haven't had access to the news for nearly three weeks," she admitted, "excuse the garb and stench, I didn't have time to shower or change. I came at once."

"I'm thankful you took my invitation so seriously," Elizabeth complimented her dedication.

"So what's wrong?" Bidi asked again, ready for some unworldly, life-changing news.

"The civil war in Frithe has finally started," Elizabeth gravely said, "and the rebels far outnumber those who wish to uphold the monarchy."

"What can be done?" Bidi quizzed.

"I already committed one thousand of my men to aid the Gezpo, but it may not be enough. The rebels have over twenty thousand faithful, and the Gezpo who oppose them only have a quarter of that. I can't commit my entire army to the civil war, though, because then it will leave us defenseless if the Tortu army tries to attack while we're at war. And Benra has made things very clear he wishes secession from the crown as well."

"I can send some of my army to aid the Gezpo," Bidi suggested, "but I only have fifteen thousand in the Royal Army, and for the same reason, I don't wish to deploy them all."

"Anything we can do to aid the Gezpo would help maintain the monarchy," Elizabeth stated.

"Why is it so important to you the monarchy remain?" Bidi asked.