Chapter Twenty-One

With each date that went by, the pre-show anxiety decreased. There still was the rush of adrenaline, and the underlying fear of something going wrong. But it wasn't terrifying as it once was. Both Trixie and Katya fed off the energy of the people who attended the shows. They didn't care whether the venue had 50 people or 300 people, they would play with the same passion. Trixie kept Brian in line, and to her disgust that came with admitting that Katya was kind of right about the being too nice thing. The nights that they went out to bars or clubs after shows, she noticed him get closer and closer. 

He once had tried to kiss her, but she was quick to turn her head and abruptly change the topic. Trixie tried to avoid looking at Brian's face, she didn't like rejecting people. But the problem wasn't his expressions, he was a cold stone. With time, Trixie realized a distant attitude from Brian. Katya told her that it was great, that he would finally stop his advances. But in the back of Trixie's mind, fear of being sabotaged grew. Katya assured her that it wouldn't happen, Trixie was just starting, and they were making him money, they would be fine. Trixie laughed at the "money printing machine" joke from Katya, but it didn't seem to make the anxiety dial down.

"What's going on up there?" Katya asked Trixie as she stirred her cup of coffee.

"Mhm, nothing," She dismissed it, shrugging her shoulders. "Bit nervous."

"That's general!" Katya lifted her brows before taking a sip of her coffee.

"Well, the feeling is general," Trixie laughed through her nose.

"Is it about Brian again?" Katya lowered her voice.

"It's general,"

"Is it tonight's show?" She insisted

"If you keep that going it's gonna be you." Trixie rolled her eyes and sipped her tea.

"Just trying to help,"

"I know," Trixie looked out the window. "Thanks."

Trixie sometimes felt guilty for having little patience for Katya, even more, when she knew it came from a place of love. But Katya could become intense from time to time, and the touring didn't help either. Both of them were clearly stressed about many things, and some days, they would take it out on each other. Eventually, fights or discussions would become conversations and anger became forgiveness. Trixie guessed this was their rough patch, and she thought they were managing it pretty well. Outside of their love life, their professional life only grew. With the touring, the word spread and they saw the numbers go up. Moving Parts and Little Sister were the most popular songs. Brian had been offered more dates, and without consulting Katya, she said yes.

"You can't just accept something that includes me without asking me," Katya took a sip of the glass of wine their shared. "We're a team, and I love touring, but I need a break."

"I can ask Brian about having breaks between dates," She tried to fix it.

"What, three-day breaks?" Katya laughed through her nose and looked away.

"I'm sorry, I'll tell him that we won't do the other dates," She played with the bed sheets she was sitting on.

"No, it's okay, it's not a lot of dates," Katya shook her head. "Just, ask me next time."

-

"When, I met you in a restaurant," Trixie sang into the microphone with a smile. "You could tell I was no debutante." She sang staring into the crowd singing.

"You asked me what's my pleasure," Trixie turned around, staring at Katya. "A movie or a measure? I'll have a cup of tea," She turned around again, facing the audience. "And tell you of my..."