Efflorescence

All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The light pitter patter from the rain resounded throughout the whole room. Towers of boxes surrounded Amia as she went around packing her belongings. A light flashed, followed by the low rumble of thunder that sounded like a deep laugh mocking her. Tiny pearl like tears glistened on her cheek.  They rolled down and fell off the edge of her face and to the floor. Eyes closing, she felt more and more tears stream down her face before she let out a cry of despair.  As the tears slowly came to a stop she curled herself on the cold floor. Sleep overtook her and she succumbed into the land of dreams.

Amia awoke to rays of light hitting her in the face. The curtains to her window were thrown open, the towers of boxes left untouched. She let out a sigh before pulling herself up from the place in which she had fallen asleep.  “It’s time to take these out” she thought to herself before getting them ready.

When Amia was done moving the boxes out of her room, she looked around. A look of sadness filled her face; so many things had changed since her parents had died. A sob betrayed her by escaping her mouth, but no tears came. Her room was no longer hers, but an empty shell, filled with memories of what once was. With that Amia closed the door, ready for the new life ahead of her.