Arrival

The plane ride was lonely for Amia. Sleep seemed to evade her, as she sat in the plane, rumbling and shaky. The seats were uncomfortable and dread seemed to settle in the pit of her stomach. It had been years since she had seen her aunt, and now she was now practically forced to live with her. 

As the plane rattled to a stop Amia couldn’t help but think how life would be different this very moment if her parents hadn’t passed away. As always, with the thought of her parents, tears started forming in her eyes, which she promptly blinked away. Rushing she got off the plane and collected her luggage, and started the search for her aunt.

“AMIA” was all that the piece of cardboard said. No last name or at least none that belonged to her at the moment. The lady, her aunt, that was holding the piece of cardboard had long changed from the last time Amia had seen her. Her brown hair now reached mid back, unlike Amia who had it to her shoulders. It was curled, which was something that ran in the family. Her wide brown eyes had wrinkles on the edges.  Her lips curled up into a smile as soon as her eyes landed on Amia.

“Amia! Over Here!” she yelled out, efficiently getting the attention of most of the people in the area. A blush filled Amia's cheeks, before she walked over. Hands shaking, she extended her arms for a hug. Her aunt, Rose quickly pulled her in with a giant squeeze. "You have grown, so much!" she exclaimed in a rather loud voice. Amia had always though she was loud, which she hoped she could get used to. "How old are you, 15?" she kept on talking as they headed for the doors. "No, 17" Amia muttered. They came to a stop and Amia looked up. Eyes widening, she took in the scene before her. A pink Volkswagen beetle filled her sight; she scrunched her nose before letting out a sigh.

It was a 30 minute drive to Forresta. That was the name of her new home, Forresta, California. Her Aunt babbled throughout the whole ride, but Amia said nothing. There just wasn't anything to be said. "Your enrolled in the high school, oh you’re going to love it. And there's a pool, and your new room is decorated, I hope you like, and there’s also........" She closed her eyes and leaned her head back. Sleep creeped into her slowly, like a spider closing in on its prey, but this time it was welcomed.

                Amia awoke to shaking. She drowsily opened her eyes and looked around her, disoriented. They were in a neighborhood. It was small and houses surrounded them, small and cozy. In front of her there was a 2 story house painted a pacific blue. It had white trimming on it, and a wraparound porch. It was beautiful. She took in a deep breath before looking ahead once more, she was home now.